Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 26th, 2015 06:00

Reset the sysadmin password on DD880

Hi,

One of my customer who has DD880 has forgotten the sysadmin password. I have tried the default password serial number and the abc123 password. However, I guess he has changed it from the default settings and seem to have forgotten  it.

Is there a way that he can recover it without losing the data. If not, atleast let me know the way where I can take the system back to factory defaults.

Regards,

355 Posts

June 26th, 2015 08:00

Hi,

Please refer to following article -

https://support.emc.com/kb/181715

Regards,

Pawan

18 Posts

June 26th, 2015 10:00

Thanks Pawan,

Hever, none of the options mentined in the KB seems to be working for

the customer. what does the USB installation means???

Is there a document which shows how we can reset the DD to factory

setting without having to reinstall the OS again. because we feel that

this would help us restre the passwords to the defaults.

We are the authorized service partners for EMC. So we may be able to

reset but unfortunately there is no step by step procedure written

anywhere.

Regards,

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 26th, 2015 10:00

Prassi,

Please have your customer open an SR and request to have the sysadmin password.

EMC Support can dispatch a CE onsite to connect to the DD880 and reset the sysadmin password.

If the customer has remote serial port access, this may be able to be done by EMC support remotely with the assistance of the customers local ops team.

Regards,

Steve

18 Posts

June 29th, 2015 03:00

Hi,

Since we have are the authorized partner for EMC, The customer might not

have a warranty with EMC. I'm sure that EMC might charge if we have to go

through the support which we cannot afford for this customer. Is there any

other alternative instead of the paid service.

Regards,

Prassi

On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 6:52 PM, Steven Cote

208 Posts

June 29th, 2015 04:00

As an authorized EMC partner, you should have access to the KB that highlights the steps required to reset the encrypted password.

I see a lot of requests on this discussion forum asking to re-image a Data Domain that is no longer on support with EMC.

Rarely is a factory re-image required, a "filesys destroy" on a healthy system (that is DOUBLE confirmed to NO longer require the data stored on the DDR) is much easier - the full re-image adds little value to a system that can boot cleanly.

• If you have lost the password, then the password reset procedure requires site attendance to perform.
  • It is disruptive to perform, it does take some time but does not impact customer data stored to perform it.

If it was easy to recover a password and you did not need to be physically next to the DDR to do this, it would be dangerous and considered to be massively insecure for customer data security.

As the EMC authorized reseller and maintainer, you should send one of your CE's with the procedure to reset the password.

If you have maintenance with EMC then EMC can assist directly by creating an SR.

Regards, Jonathan

No Events found!