Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 4th, 2014 23:00

Using Data Domain as Storage for Exchange Server database LUN ?

Hi All,

Can anyone here please share me some documentation or steps that I can implement to deploy Exchange Server 2013 database (Archive Mailbox only) to the Data Domain ?

This web page: https://store.emc.com/us/Product-Family/DATA-DOMAIN-PRODUCTS/Data-Domain-DD2500/p/DDM-DataDomain-DD2500 it says that Exchange Server is supported. The only way to use the Data Deduplication is using the CIFS share through \\UNC path,

But according to Microsoft web page Exchange 2013 storage configuration options: Exchange 2013 Help

at the bottom of the page: DataDe-Duplication: Not Supported for Exchange database files. Note: Can be used for Exchange database files that are completely offline (used as backups or archives).

90 Posts

September 15th, 2014 05:00

Morning System Engineer,

The Microsoft documentation you're referencing looks to be in the context of Windows 2012 Deduplication features. Since Windows 2012 introduced deduplication on their operating system, deduplication efficiencies can now take place via that software optimization. Therefore, I interpret the Exchange 2013 guide in reference to supportability on Windows 2012.

What software are you using in conjunction with Data Domain to back up Exchange 2013?

Thanks,

-Ed

2 Intern

• 

164 Posts

September 15th, 2014 06:00

Hi Mikus,

Yeah, I wonder if it is fully supported by both Microsoft and EMC to use the Archived mailbox database using \\UNC path to the EMC DataDomain 2500.

The backup software I'm using is Symantec Netbackup v7.6

90 Posts

September 15th, 2014 07:00

Hey System Engineer,

I have nothing official, but offhand I don't think serving out mailboxes from Data Domain storage would be supported. I'll make an inquiry, but I don't think it's likely. I like to reference this really old document sometimes, because I think the fundamentals still hold true. Check it out:

https://support.emc.com/docu48779_Backup-and-Recovery-for-Microsoft-Exchange-Server.pdf?language=en_US

Thanks,

-Ed

2 Intern

• 

164 Posts

September 15th, 2014 15:00

Mikus,

Yes please, if you can clarify this matter, that would be greatly appreciated.

I'd like to know how can I leverage the EMC DataDomain hardware for Deduplication on the Exchange archive mailbox database.

So far that I know, the DataDomain deduplication enabled LUN can only be represented as CIFS share.

No Events found!