Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 20th, 2014 04:00

file systems on Data Domain?

I am a kind of confused by file systems on Data Domain.

'nfs show clients' is to list "paths". Aren't they file systems as well ? If they are not FS, then how can they be exported to clients?

OR, DD has only one file system, and all "paths" are creaed on the same file system? In regular Unix file system, nfs exports "file system" to clients,

based on 'df' command below, df is supposed to show all file systems, so, are both /data and /ddvar file systems?

# df

Active Tier:

Resource           Size GiB    Used GiB   Avail GiB   Use%   Cleanable GiB

----------------   --------   ---------   ---------   ----   -------------

/data: pre-comp           -   2017644.0           -      -               -

/data: post-comp   218428.5    168477.0     49951.5    77%          7891.5

/ddvar               132.9         8.8       117.3     7%               -

----------------   --------   ---------   ---------   ----   -------------

As you can tell, I am kind of confused...

Appreciate your help.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

January 20th, 2014 05:00

DDOS has single file system.  You share path which you mount as machine:/path to your NFS client.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

January 20th, 2014 06:00

dynamox wrote:

/ddvar is a local file system, built on top of internal drives. While /data is another file system built on top of drives in external DAEs.

True only for boxes with external enclosures - low end models share it, right?

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

/ddvar is a local file system, built on top of internal drives. While /data is another file system built on top of drives in external DAEs.

/dev/dd_dg00p15 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime)

proc on /proc type proc (rw)

sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)

devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)

/dev/dd_dg00p14 on /ddr type ext3 (rw,noatime)

/dev/dd_dg00p13 on /ddr/var type ext3 (rw,noatime)

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

Could be.  Not sure how it is there.  I have DD160 at small location and I remember it is headless system with single spare for all disks inside which all at the time I checked were identical.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

/data is where you data end -  you should not touch that one.

/ddvar is interesting if you wish to access logs.

I usually do not allow any access to any of those   Going back to nfs show clients, you will most likely have:

/data/col1/ 

If you use AFTD (or DDBoost), this will be mtree where you backups go (and this is already part of /data from df).

211 Posts

Great! Your message cleared up one big question in my mind.

Then if you look back "df" output, what are /data and /ddvar respectively? are they just two different paths on the same file system? what are differences between them?

Thank you!

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

don't have low end models but i suspect it's not sharing drives with /data  ..must be using separate drives.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

January 20th, 2014 07:00

Those 4 drives are head. The others are where you data lives.

You can run command like df if you exit to shell, but this is not something allowed for general public.  There is no need for you to check this as this is standard rollout by DDOS and it is as that and no other way.  To be brutally honest, you are wondering about wrong things here.  DD is supposed to be black box in terms of internal setup and customers are restricted in what they can run themselves.  Even if you see how it is done (eg. during webex), doing it yourself might cost you loss of support so no need to go there.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

@emcmagic

What H said

i can't give you those commands, not on public forum. You will never manage internal file system anyway, so not something you need to be concerned about.

211 Posts

I have 4 drives in enclosure 1, and assuming they are local drives. the other 155 drives in enclosure 2 and 3 and assuming they are in DAEs, as dynamox indicated.

Now, what commands to confirm /ddvar is on 4 internals and /data is on other drives?

So, do we have 2 file systems total here, one is /ddvar and the other /data?

dynamox, what command you used to list all entries that are supposed to be in /etc/fstab, ex, /dev/dd_dg00p15 in your message?

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

January 20th, 2014 08:00

Btw, this is what I have:

# nfs show clients

path      client        options                              

-------  -----------  ----------------------------------------

/backup  *            (rw,no_root_squash,no_all_squash,secure)

/ddvar    IP          (rw,no_root_squash,no_all_squash,secure)

-------  -----------  ----------------------------------------

Note that due to the fact that I use DDBoost with NW this is a bit different then what you have with NBU. ddvar contains:

drwxrwxrwx 2 root ftp  4096 Nov  5 18:59 cacerts

drwxrws--- 2 root ftp  4096 Nov  5 18:59 certificates

drwxrwsr-x 2 root ftp  4096 Nov  5 18:02 core

drwxrwsr-x 2 root ftp  4096 Oct 11 17:12 etc

drwxrwsr-x 8 root ftp  4096 Nov  5 18:02 home

drwxrwsr-x 2 root ftp  4096 Jan 18 11:25 lock

drwxrwsr-x 3 root ftp  4096 Jan 19 00:45 log

drwxrwsr-x 2 root ftp 16384 Oct  8  2012 lost+found

drwxrwxrwx 2 root ftp  4096 Nov  5 18:02 releases

drwxrwsr-x 3 root ftp  4096 Nov  5 18:02 reports

drwxrwsr-x 3 root ftp  4096 Nov  5 18:02 snmp

drwxrwsr-x 2 root ftp  4096 Jan 20 08:00 support

drwxrwsr-x 3 root ftp  4096 Jan 18 11:16 tools

drwxrwsr-x 2 root ftp  4096 Jan 20 14:46 traces

drwxrwsr-x 5 root ftp  4096 Jan 18 11:18 vers

The only reason to be there is if support instruct you to do so.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

i export /backup/ost to my Oracle clients that are running DDBoost for RMAN, going directly to DD. They don't actually mount /backup/ost but the host name needs to be added to export (even though they are sending data to a storage unit).

/backup and /data/col1 is the same thing, in 4.x you used to have just /backup but then DD introduced mtree so now /data/col1 is an mtree.

2 Intern

• 

14.3K Posts

/backup/ost used to be used in DDOS prior to 5 I believe.  Details escape me now, but there is DD document which explains this change in paths. Of course, it might be different in combination with NB of course so that different paths are used there.  I find a bit strange that you have for /backup/ost definition any and then restricted to client (in my case, I have /backup to everyone and it is of course empty).

You can mount /ddvar to DD01.abc.COM as curently configured and see what is in there.

211 Posts

Okay. Understand.

But, do we have two file systems here? one is /data where all backups go, and the other is /ddvar? Is there anyway I can see what is in /ddvar?

based on the following, I can tell DD_STOR_UNIT1 and DD_STOR_UNIT2 are for NetBackup storage units. But what about /backup and /backup/ost, what are they for?

# nfs show clients

path                           client                   options

----------------------------   ----------------------   ------------------------------------------

/backup                        DD01.abc.COM   (rw,no_root_squash,no_all_squash,secure)

/backup/ost                    *                        (rw,no_root_squash,no_all_squash,insecure)

/backup/ost                    oradev01           (rw,no_root_squash,no_all_squash,insecure)

/data/col1/DD_STOR_UNIT1     nbmaster                  (rw,no_root_squash,no_all_squash,secure)

/data/col1/DD_STOR_UNIT2   nbmaster                  (rw,no_root_squash,no_all_squash,secure)

/ddvar                         DD01.abc.COM   (rw,no_root_squash,no_all_squash,secure)

----------------------------   ----------------------   ------------------------------------------

211 Posts

January 21st, 2014 08:00

/ddvar is restricted to dd01.abc.com only, and it is the Data Domain itself. If I understand correctly /ddvar is for DDOS on DD? Is there any public way I can list contents on DD ?

We are running DDOS 5.1 , so /backup is no use here?

No Events found!