Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 25th, 2013 19:00

Cannot find a report source object that contains the field "plugin"

hi, I am trying to report on the success of all overnight backups that used the "windows SQL" plugin  ..

I am using the  "backup job details"  source object, but it does not appear to contain any information on the plugin used by each backup job.

Has anyone found a source object , or method to report on the success/failure of a specific plugin ??

I could separate all of the clients with a sql backup plugin, and put them into a separate group, with its own schedule, but this may cause scheduling issues , esp if a job overruns and forces the sql jobs to run late or never in the window.

I would prefer NOT to have to run the sql jobs as a separate schedule,  as the same clients also have  a windows file system  and VSS job to run together..

23 Posts

July 29th, 2013 08:00

If you select your scope and then in the report selection select Avamar, Data Protection, Jobs, All Jobs.  This report will show plugin type as one of the fields.  If this has the field you are looking for, go to Custom Reports then the System Templates tab, find the All Jobs report and perform a Save As.  With the new report saved, edit it and change the table format then on the Advanced tab you can put in a filter or you can also just reduce the columns shown depending on what you are looking for.

Ryan

July 29th, 2013 19:00

Hi Ryan, thanks for the update.. unfortunately this report "All Jobs"  does not contain a field  "plug-in used"   or anything like it  !!..    It seems that the field "policy used"  may contain the info, but if more than one plugin EG:  Windows file system  plus SQL  , then it is populated with a generic  "All"  ??

can you pls check in your DPa system (Ver 5.7.1 build 5794) and see if you can verify which field name contains the pludin-used info ??

DPA Pluginreport.jpg

23 Posts

July 30th, 2013 05:00

Chris, I apologize but the version I am using is V6.0.0 (Build 72724).  There are some "issues" on 6 but the improvements are pretty apparent to me for my usages.  It might be worth jumping to if you are looking for the details you have described.  DPA 6 is a total re-write and it ditches Java (always a plus in my book).  I have included a screenshot to see what I see when I run the report.  I do not have any examples of SQL and VSS together but I do have a couple of machines that are VM level and VSS and they display in this report just fine.  Possibly not what you are looking for though.

Ryan

dpa_alljobs.PNG.png

July 30th, 2013 16:00

Ryan,  thanks, thats exactly what I am looking for...   is there a document on procedure to upgrade to V6.. and where do I find the download... 

Are licenses carried over ??

23 Posts

July 31st, 2013 11:00

We did a fresh install to avoid any problems and figured we would have to potentially recreate a good portion anyhow so we did this all manually.  There is at the very least a migration process that I have seen:

https://support.emc.com/docu45719_Data-Protection-Advisor-6.0-Installation-and-Administration-Guide.pdf

The link above has a section on migration from 5.x to 6.x.  As for the licensing, as long as you have maintenance it should carry over.  You will likely have to obtain the DPA 6 licenses though.  I just don't know the direct answer because we did a side by side and one of my techs handled the license piece.

July 31st, 2013 16:00

Ryan,

Thanks heaps... The admin-guide migration doco looks good.

I did locate the server and clients donwloads that I will need, and also found a few utube vids on the migration and upgrade process.   The  V6  DPa has to be installed onto a different server to V5 for the migration process to work, so  looks like we get to keep the old system on-line till the new one is working..

We do have paid up support and licenses should transfer... but I ring emc support for that..

My next big job is to talk the powers-to-be into upgrading our Avamar grid.. we have a 5/6 gen grid and a mixture of 3/4gen at the Dr site. The 3/4gen has to go, and be replaced by a new 5/6gen grid as well as add another couple of Tb storage. Tkhats my plan for later this year, but meantime, I need to get the DPA system reporting properly on the database success, as we will be migrating all of our database backups from networker to avamar, if all goes to plan.

Thanks again for you help.. 

rgds Chris Hansen. (Dept of Trade and Investment, NSW ) Host Systems Mgr  

No Events found!