Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 16th, 2013 07:00

DPA Avamar replication monitoring

We have dozens of destination and source Avamars and we are trying to effectively monitor replication. The clone reports are helpful but there are no good summary reports. For example we would like to see something like this as a starting point.

Source Avamar Destination Avamar Number of Uncloned backups

or even

Source Avamar
Destination Avamar Backup client Number of Uncloned backups

Has anyone had any experience of this kind of report or something similar?

Many thanks.

24 Posts

September 25th, 2013 09:00

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? We're really struggling to monitor Avamar replication when dealing with large numbers of grids - it's becoming unmanageable.

498 Posts

October 17th, 2013 12:00

I also was not able to get anything good from dpa.

but with some help was able to setup in the avamar admin's crontab in /home/admin a script

#!/bin/bash

cd ~

( . /etc/profile && /usr/local/avamar/bin/replcnt.sh )>/home/admin/replcnt.txt

/home/admin/sendtxtmult.pl /home/admin/replcnt.txt

where the output is replcnt.txt

and the sendtxtmult.pl emails it to me  ( I don't know if this was a standard pl script or if it was made for me - we made a change to have it email my backup group)

I get a report for each Avamar grid

/myvmdomaininavamar/VirtualMachines/Windows/Dev/myservername_UAQNVBFvoh1KgUAkdJbnI       71       69       -2

so here we see my vm in the domain windows/dev  has 71 back up images and 69 are replicated it is 2 behind.

you can run that replcnt.sh at command line to see the report... then work on getting cron to run it and email it to you.

66 Posts

October 24th, 2013 17:00

There is no report like this in DPA today, but it's a great idea and I am sure that it could be added in for a future release.

Please would you consider raising a RFE via EMC PowerLink with the suggested report so that DPA product management can pass this on to the engineering team for consideration.

Thanks,

Gareth

November 14th, 2013 03:00

Hi,

Could you please  share your script  with us?

498 Posts

November 14th, 2013 12:00

so you don't have  /usr/local/avamar/bin/replcnt.sh   on your server?   I thought it was a supplied script on the server.  And an EMC tech just make the email part for me.

as I did not write it and it seems to be very involved I need to read it before I share someone elses work.

that and perl script   /home/admin/sendtxtmult.pl

unless someone from EMC can say it is ok to share it.

my cron entry is in admin's crontab

15 11 * * * /home/admin/send-replcnt-rpt.sh

below is the script run by cron

#!/bin/bash

cd ~

( . /etc/profile && /usr/local/avamar/bin/replcnt.sh )>/home/admin/replcnt.txt

/home/admin/sendtxtmult.pl /home/admin/replcnt.txt

this is the sendtxtmult.pl for the email (see attached - it was saved as a .txt but you should save it as a .pl on the server if it is not already there.)

1 Attachment

November 14th, 2013 12:00

Hi

I have repl script but need to email the output.

Sent from mobile.

498 Posts

November 14th, 2013 13:00

then what I have posted should cover it for you.

November 14th, 2013 13:00

I need sentmail script i try a couple of them but i could't properly work.

Sent from mobile.

5 Posts

September 16th, 2015 00:00

Hi

Please check the following link from ManageEngine OpStor. It can monitor SNMP traps sent for every DPA activity from Avamar.

Monitoring EMC Avamar Backup Servers

Hope this helps..

1.2K Posts

January 15th, 2016 12:00

Starting in DPA 6.1, the Clone Operations report finally started reporting on Avamar replications successfully.

clone.png

Thanks!

Karl

No Events found!