Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 25th, 2011 04:00

Report card failures only

We're working on the backup report card report. We use it to review backups looking back 1 week at a time. Because of the large number of clients in our environment the report is very long and contains only a few failures. We're trying to filter to only show clients that have had failures in the last 7 days. If we filter on status contains "failed" it shows each day as either white or red. If all jobs on that day for that client failed then it shows red. If all the jobs didn't fail it shows as white, instead of half green and half red.

Is there a way to get the report to show either red, green or half green/half red. I.e. we don't want to seen any lines which are all green for the last 7 days.

141 Posts

August 25th, 2011 06:00

Hi,

You create the first report which gives you the list of clients that have had at least 1 failure via the Report Editor. To use it in a query node you then:

- select Tools, Node Editor

- select New, Query

- in the Node Properties window select Standard Query in the Type field

- then enter a name for the query node e.g. All clients with a failure

- select the Query tab

- in the report field, select the "..." and select the first report you created

- in the Filter field select Edit and add a condition/filter of "Status not equal to success"

- in the Window field select Last Week

- in the View field select Configuration

- in the Nodes field select the group that contains the servers you want to return the clients from

- in the Node Conversion section, select the Children type field and select Backup Client

- in the Server Name field select Server

- in the Backup Client field select Client

- save the query node by pressing OK

- create a new view or use an existing custom view (it is good practice to keep the query nodes out of the main Configuration view)

- right click in the navigation tree where you want to assign the query node and select Administration, Assign node

- select the query node you just created and select OK

You should then see the query node in your view. You can then expand the query node by clicking on the "+" to the left of it, and it should display all backup clients that have had at least 1 failure in the last week. To run the report card you then right click on the query node and select the normal report card report in the menu.

Thanks

David

David Russell

EMC Technical Support

24 Posts

August 25th, 2011 05:00

Hi,

That sounds very interesting. Could you just explain to me how I can setup the first report as the source for the 2nd report?

Thanks

141 Posts

August 25th, 2011 05:00

Hi,

What I have done in the past in this situation is create a query node that returns all clients that have had at least 1 failure in the 1 week timeframe. I then run the normal Report card over this query node so that only clients with at least 1 failure will be displayed in the report.

For the query node I create a new report that uses the "Num Jobs" data source and on the Group By tab I select Server, Client and Status. This then gives me 1 row per Client with the status of all jobs over the week and the number of jobs there were. I then use that report in the query node and add a filter of Status not equal to success and set it to run over all my backup servers with a time window of Last Week. For the Node Conversion part of the query node, I select Backup Client as the Children type and then set Server for the Server name field and Client for the Backup Client field. This query node then returns me all backup clients that have had at least one failure in the past week.

Thanks

David

David Russell

EMC Technical Support

24 Posts

August 25th, 2011 06:00

That's excellent - just what we were looking for thanks!

24 Posts

November 4th, 2011 07:00

One more thing :-)

I cannot figure out how to add the avamar server name onto the report - is this possible?

141 Posts

November 4th, 2011 08:00

Hi,

I am not sure what you mean exactly?

Thanks

David

David Russell

EMC Technical Support

24 Posts

November 4th, 2011 09:00

Untitled.jpg

Sorry for the confusion. This is what we get at the moment - the node column is the client which failed. It would be great to see the avamar backup server next in the next column, before the date columns. Is this possible?

141 Posts

November 4th, 2011 09:00

Hi,

You cannot add a new column with it however you can add it into the Node column. To do this you would need to:

- open Report Editor

- select the "Backup Report Card" and take a copy

- edit the Report Item "Num Save Sets by Client and Status"

- edit the data source "Num Save Sets" and select the "Group By" tab

- select the field called "Server" so that it groups by Server, Client and Status

- select Ok and save the report item

- in the Report Toolbar select the "Field Mapping" button

- in the Node Label section multi-select Client and Server so that they are both highlighted

- select Ok and save the changes to the new custom report

You can then add this to the menu and run it, and it should display client and server in the Node field.

Kind Regards

David

David Russell

EMC Technical Support

24 Posts

November 8th, 2011 02:00

Excellent that works great - thanks.

24 Posts

February 9th, 2012 06:00

Do you think a similar report card could be easily produced for replication failures?

June 14th, 2012 08:00

Dave, we have a similar issue.  Looking for failures doesn't work very well for us, because if there's a failure followed by a success, we don't care.  We just want to see whether a node has had a successful backup in the past 24 hours.

Do you see any way to get that?

Re: Ask the Expert:Avamar Server management best practices

How do we ensure that we have a good backup with Avamar? 

We can try using "mccli backup validate..."; but that runs a long time, and I don't see where the results go.

We can look at the "Last Successful Backup Date" from "mccli client show...", but that apparently reports success even if the backup had exceptions.

We can look at activities, and ee if they Completed, Completed With Exceptions, etc.  But do we have to look for a success on each plugin, to be sure?  For example, Windows filesystem and Winodws VSS have to both succeed, right?

Just looking for a straightforward way to day "Yes, we're OK on server xxx".

Thanks.

didn't get a real good answer ...

• Re: Ask the Expert:Avamar Server management best practices   Validating a backup is essentially doing a restore and discarding the results. It will prove that the backup is consistent (in other words, the backup is on the server and all the bits that were backed up can be restored) but it doesn't tell us anything about the content of that backup. For example, on Windows clients, if VSS is not functioning correctly, any open files on the client will not be backed up. This backup will be valid (since it is consistent and restorable) but if you were trying to restore one of those open files, you will not be able to do so. When reviewing the activities, keep in mind that each plugin has a specific purpose. If the filesystem backup succeeds but the VSS backup fails, it will not be possible to perform a bare metal recovery of this system but any data backed up as part of the file system backup will be available for restore. Similarly, if your DB2 backups succeed but your filesystem backups fail, you will be able to recover the databases but not the file system. Naturally, this applies to any plug-in backups. There are some reports built into the Avamar Administrator that you may find useful for determining if a client is fully protected or not. In particular, take a look at the "Activities - Exceptions", "Activities - Failed" and "Client - No Activities" reports. The two "Activities" reports are pretty self-explanatory (they report on any clients that complete with exceptions or fail). The "Client - No Activities" report will give you information on any client that is not running backups. It is also possible to create your own reports using the GUI, though the options for customization are somewhat limited. You can configure the system to send built-in or custom reports to you by e-mail on a daily basis. If you find that these reports are not sufficient for your needs, you could use the ODBC connectivity I mentioned above to "roll your own" or you could use a reporting package such as Data Protection Advisor to generate more in-depth reports "out of the box".

No Events found!