You can use it today too (over WAN) - it is only that is qualified now. Since no code change was made to get this qualified, it only means it has been tested more deeply now so in essence this is not specific NW 8.2 feature. I would go for NW of course
Sorry for the late reply, I've done a fair bit of research into this area, to be honest a lot of the DPAD guys are pretty unclear on which to go for, most say that NW is the first port of call, my preference also but the VMware integration is better with Avamar.
The questions that I'm asking now that point me in one direction or the other are:
Still not clear cut but it helps, really wish there was a bit more direction as it's tricky positioning EMC backup at the moment without confusing the customer.
If you have any further insight or any other questions that could help guide me towards one solution or the other it would be appreciated.
It depends on client's need and prioritizing them as per requirements.
Avamar is most suited for VMs' backup & restore. Avamar also has NDMP Accelerator (in mentioned version), which makes backup job easier for Isilon. Data to backup from Isilon can be backed-up using LAN cable. Avamar makes Admins job easier, taking backups from VM itself. It eats lesser bandwidth than Networker.
Networker can do recovery from snapshot, reducing RPO (feature available in mentioned version). NetWorker is also able to use DD Boost – software that de-duplicates data at source prior to Data Domain ingest – over Fibre Channel for a claim of 30% backup speed increase and 2.5% increase in restore time.
In my view, Mozy is best suited for cloud support for individuals' Laptops and Desktops backup.
Moreover you can look at these points :
1) Networker can work with any device type that is supported by the OS (disk and tape). Avamar can only use its own node/disk system.
2) Networker by itself does not dedupe the data - Avamar always uses client-site deduplication.
3) Networker usually works with fast transport media SAN/LAN while Avamar (due to its nature) is ideal for remote offices (slow LAN or WAN).
4) Avamar is complementary to Networker, you can use an Avamar system as a Networker.'device'. Due to the technology the other way does not make sense.
5) Netwoker & Avamar accomplishes Netwoker client-site deduplication :
Easy to implement,Very good performance in backups and recoveries.
So far Networker does not easily report the protected save set size only the metadata. This is confusing for statistical purposes.