Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 30th, 2014 11:00

DellBIOSProvider.dll not loading in Windows PE

I am trying to load the Dell PowerShell BIOS Provider within Windows PE v 5.0, MDT 2013 in order to switch the Boot List option to UEFI Mode and disable the Legacy Boot ROM option.

When attempting to run "import-module" to load the DellSMBios provider, I get the following error:

Import-Module : Could not load file or assembly 'file:///xxxxxxxxxxxx\DellBIOSProvider.dll' or one of its dependencies. Operation is not supported. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131515).

I verified that I am using the correct x64 bit version, matching the 64 bit version of PE that I am booting. I also have the PowerShell and .NET features added into PE.

I have also tested using the BIOS provider in a regular Windows session and it works without issue.

Are there any other dependencies that I need to load in order for this to work?

October 30th, 2014 23:00

Hi GRC888,

Please check whether the module files are Unblocked and install respective HAPI before importing the module.

you can also check on this link for fixing this error.

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/enterprise-client/f/4887/t/19582078

Please share the outcome with us.

2 Posts

November 4th, 2014 10:00

Thank you for the reply. I had tried these steps, but unfortunately to no avail.

I know that the HAPI drivers are loading correctly since I am able to run CCTK within WinPE for other BIOS configurations that we are setting.

I have tried using two different methods of injecting the HAPI drivers into our WIM:

• using HAPIInstall.bat that is included in the x64 folder. I tried the HAPI drivers that were included with the BIOS PowerShell provider download, as well as the HAPI drivers from the latest CCTK installer.
  • using the cctk_x86_64_winpe_5.bat install batch file that is included with the latest version of CCTK.

I tried running Dependency walker on the DellBIOSProvider.dll and DSMLIBWrapper to see what dependencies it is trying to load, and it seems to try to load a lot of DLLs that are associated with the Visual C++ runtime. From what I understand, these runtimes cannot be installed within the Windows PE environment, but is this looking in the right direction?

38 Posts

February 26th, 2015 01:00

Yes, Dell PS provider requires VC++ 2010 runtime libraries to be available in the system. CCTK statically links them, that's why it works in WinPE.

No Events found!