GRC888
1 Copper

DellBIOSProvider.dll not loading in Windows PE

I am trying to load the Dell PowerShell BIOS Provider within Windows PE v 5.0, MDT 2013 in order to switch the Boot List option to UEFI Mode and disable the Legacy Boot ROM option.

When attempting to run "import-module" to load the DellSMBios provider, I get the following error:

Import-Module : Could not load file or assembly 'file:///xxxxxxxxxxxx\DellBIOSProvider.dll' or one of its dependencies. Operation is not supported. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131515).

I verified that I am using the correct x64 bit version, matching the 64 bit version of PE that I am booting. I also have the PowerShell and .NET features added into PE.

I have also tested using the BIOS provider in a regular Windows session and it works without issue.

Are there any other dependencies that I need to load in order for this to work?

0 Kudos
3 Replies

RE: DellBIOSProvider.dll not loading in Windows PE

Hi GRC888,

Please check whether the module files are Unblocked and install respective HAPI before importing the module.

you can also check on this link for fixing this error.

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/enterprise-client/f/4887/t/19582078

Please share the outcome with us.

0 Kudos
GRC888
1 Copper

Thank you for the reply. I had tried these steps, but unfortunately to no avail.

I know that the HAPI drivers are loading correctly since I am able to run CCTK within WinPE for other BIOS configurations that we are setting.

I have tried using two different methods of injecting the HAPI drivers into our WIM:

• using HAPIInstall.bat that is included in the x64 folder. I tried the HAPI drivers that were included with the BIOS PowerShell provider download, as well as the HAPI drivers from the latest CCTK installer.
  • using the cctk_x86_64_winpe_5.bat install batch file that is included with the latest version of CCTK.

I tried running Dependency walker on the DellBIOSProvider.dll and DSMLIBWrapper to see what dependencies it is trying to load, and it seems to try to load a lot of DLLs that are associated with the Visual C++ runtime. From what I understand, these runtimes cannot be installed within the Windows PE environment, but is this looking in the right direction?

0 Kudos

Yes, Dell PS provider requires VC++ 2010 runtime libraries to be available in the system. CCTK statically links them, that's why it works in WinPE.

0 Kudos