Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

1 Message

September 26th, 2018 14:00

Smartcard reader breaks on 7390 + DDPE v10 w/ Win 10 1803

We are using Latitude 7390 2-in-1s with DDPE v10 currently running Windows 10 build 1709. Updating to Win10 1803 breaks the smart card reader (in device manager it shows as Microsoft Usbccid Smartcard Reader (WUDF) - the error is "this device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device").

In device manager, if you disable and re-enable the device than it will work, however it breaks again once you do a reboot. I also tried installing the VaultControl2 software from Dell and the result is the same- it fixes it until you do a reboot.

DDPE seems to play a factor in this as well; we tested doing a fresh image with our standard build/software/etc except without DDPE and the smart card reader did not break when updating to Win10 1803.

Anyone else have a similar experience or have any idea what might be causing this?

156 Posts

October 1st, 2018 18:00

Hi BAPE,

Thank you for your note. Dell is currently researching this issue, though we have not had any additional reports of this behaviour with the Dell Encryption solution. We have not seen this behavior as well in any of our previous QA tests, but be assured Dell will ensure this does not block your deployment :)

1 Message

April 28th, 2019 23:00

Hi, the same here - W10 Pro, Dell Latitude 548. Occured like 1-2 m ago.

156 Posts

May 2nd, 2019 07:00

Hi olosz,

We have been working behind the scenes to reproduce this error, and sadly we have not been able to. If possible, could we open a ticket with Dell Data Security ProSupport?

You can reach them at at 877.459.7304, Option 1, Ext. 4310039 within the US. 

To contact support outside the US, reference our international support numbers at: https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln297692

1 Message

July 8th, 2019 08:00

Hello, 

I work for a gov't agency that is experiencing this exact same issue. We cannot pinpoint why upgrading from one Windows 10 build to another is causing the smartcard reader driver to not work until enabled using admin credentials. After reboot, the activated Microsoft USBCCID smart card reader driver no longer works.  I spoke to someone from Dell Data Security and he recommended that I talk to Dell Pro Support which I have already done to no resolution. 

Owen

July 8th, 2019 13:00

Hello Owen,

I'm sorry to hear that you that you are suffering from this issue as well. Could you do me a favor and PM me the SR when you talked to Dell ProSupport? I'd like to look into the history a bit more so I can provide some guidance on next steps. 

Thank you,

Brian Piatt

L4 | Dell Data Security 

1 Message

October 7th, 2019 14:00

I'm having the same issue with multiple EU's

Microsoft Usbccid Smartcard Reader (WUDF) - the error is "this device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device").
In device manager, if you disable and re-enable the device than it will work, however it breaks again once you do a reboot.

October 8th, 2019 14:00

@Hajee 

Sorry to hear that you are having an issue with your smart cards and DDPE. Do you know what version of the Dell Data Security product you are using? 

If not, you can reference How to Identify the Dell Encryption Enterprise / Dell Encryption Personal Self-Encrypting Drive Manager Version. 

What mode of Dell Data Security are using:

• Policy Based Encryption
  • Full Disk Encryption
  • BitLocker Manager
  • SED Management

-Brian

L4 | Dell Data Security #IWork4Dell

No Events found!