Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Q

33 Posts

March 5th, 2019 07:00

OpenManage Enterprise and iDRAC zero touch deployment

First off, I am under the impression that 'templates' in OMEnt are the same thing as SCP (Server Configuration profiles) in iDRAC. Please correct me if I am wrong.

So I have two questions: Where are Server Configuration Profiles, or templates, actually stored in OMEnt?

The iDRAC zero touch deployment guide states a 'RepositoryUpdate' attribute that can be identified to point to a network share for firmware updates. Wondering if this attribute gets assigned when we make a template through OMEnt. Say we create a config from a reference device that is associated with our firmware baseline. Does that config profile automatically get a repositoryupdate attribute that corresponds to the share on DRM? 

Our end goal is to have servers obtain an IP address through DHCP and then have the vendor scope specify a server config profile to take care of base settings and firmware updates. 

6 Posts

May 28th, 2021 20:00

Hi qdellforum,

Templates and SCP(Server Configuration profiles) are interchangeable, they are the same thing. Unfortunately there is no information on where under OME they are stored - only that they are copied/downloaded off the server and places somewhere locally.

I've been playing around with a single template update solution with not much luck. The idea is to use Server Initiated Discovery and Auto Deploy functionality in OME Ent. 3.5. Seen on page 105 of the user guide.

https://dl.dell.com/topicspdf/dell-openmanage-enterprise_users-guide15_en-us.pdf

Servers initiate a discover via DHCP and DNS and contact OME which in turn assigns a profile with the template (SCP) and a group location + ISO image (with kickstart or Autounattend file). The only part that does not work is the RepositoryUpdate process which is described in following guide on page 47

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/common/dellemc-server-config-profile-refguide.pdf

No matter which format is used it simply does not work.

• // / /Catalog.xml
  • / /Catalog.xml
  • // /Catalog.xml

What it does state is that "The RepositoryUpdate value should point to a Catalog.xml file in a path relative to the location of the SCP template on a network share." which tells me that this is not a SMB or CIFs share but a location on the OME server. Using the new Update Manager Plugin we can see the local share is //shared/dell/omc/cifs/idrac/RepositoryStore. But how does this work in regards to Dell Repository Manager.

Reading further it states "SCP Import with RepositoryUpdates can also be paired with SCP OS deployment operations to create a full end-to-end updates, configuration, and deployment solution all from a single template."  - OK, how??

Regards

No Events found!