Start a Conversation

Unsolved

4 Posts

September 9th, 2019 12:00

Openmanage 3.1 to 3.2 upgrade with proxy configuration

Hi everyone,

If this has already been answered somewhere, I apologize as I haven't been able to find it. In our environment, we need a clean install of Open Manage 3.0 and an offline upgrade to Open Manage 3.1 using this method (https://www.dell.com/community/Dell-OpenManage-Enterprise/Upgrade-OME-from-3-0-to-3-1/td-p/6244290). The desire in our environment is to use the internet to do online updates if possible. (My understanding regarding 3.0 to 3.1 is that the online update method wasn't fully baked enough in 3.0 to take advantage of it).

The short version of my problem is that the 3.1 instance doesn't detect a new version available for download. I suspect that this is because our instance of OME requires a proxy to connect to the internet. We use OME quite extensively for firmware patching and we use the online dell.com repository for retrieving drivers and baselines, so I feel confident that the solution is configured to use the proxy correctly, but perhaps it can't negotiate an upgrade to itself when proxy is a requirement for the internet? Is anyone able to confirm if this is either the case, and/or what the offline ugprade method from 3.1 to 3.2 would be? Thank you.

• 

8.8K Posts

September 10th, 2019 05:00

Duswin,

It looks like it is an issue with the proxy. As Page 7 of the OME white paper found here states the following;

By using the Online Console Update feature, you can automatically check for any available console upgrades,
and then trigger job to upgrade the version.

Note—

You cannot upgrade the OpenManage Enterprise appliance version when the proxy settings are enabled.

Workaround-- 

If you have configured a proxy:
1) Create a shared folder that can be accessed without proxy from OpenManage Enterprise, and then download the update file into the folder.
2) Remove the proxy setting during OpenManage Enterprise console upgrade.

Hope this helps.

4 Posts

September 10th, 2019 08:00

Hi Chris,

Thank you kindly for the response. I've spoken with a network resource and we're going to opt to temporarily permit the appliance access on 443 to the internet directly to obtain its update and temporarily disable the proxy configuration. For the sake of anyone else that stumbles upon this thread, I'd ask to clarify what you mean by "share" (for example, is a UNC path supported, are we talking about IIS, etc.) and where one would go to download the update.

Thank you.

No Events found!