Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

January 21st, 2018 12:00

Unable to discover using OpenManage enterprise

I'm standing up a test-server to replace our old essentials one. I've managed to install the server and login via the web. I set up NTP and now I'm looking to discover devices. However, I haven't been successful importing a variety of devices that existed on my essentials server, including servers (windows), idrac, and MD storage devices. I've tried using DNS and IP addresses. Domain accounts (for the windows hosts) as well as local accounts. I've attempted SNMP for the MD storage devices. Some are on the same network as the OM Enterprise server, others are not.

Each discovery log comes back with: 

CGEN1013 : Unable to connect to the device over because a connection error occurred.

11 Posts

January 21st, 2018 22:00

i have also had the same issue.
this happens every time i try to discover windows hosts.
i have tried discovering with ip and fqdn.

it works fine with idrac and cmc for me, discovered by ip range

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

January 22nd, 2018 07:00

Thanks for the questions guys.

We have a support matrix published off of the DTC page that might help with the list of supported devices in this first release.

Just to get things started, let's make sure it can discover your iDRACs correctly.  So if you go through the default path on the discovery wizard it should take you to the basic WSMan discovery where you can enter the IP addresses or range for your Servers/iDRACs.

This release does not have much support for in-band discovery like OM Essentials did.  With that product, you could discover SNMP+OMSA or WMI+OMSA.  Not so for Enterprise--it's more iDRAC (out-of-band or agent free) focused.

There is some basic SSH / Linux support, but the inventory is less compared with iDRAC/WSMan.  There are some notes in the user guide / help I believe that could get you some in-band Windows discovery. But the setup on the end-node is burdensome.  

For storage in this release, our support is limited to Compellent and we're evaluating interest in other storage products.  So I'll definitely pass along the interest in MD.

Hope this info helps.

Rob

23 Posts

January 25th, 2018 10:00

To clarify, are you saying this product ONLY actually works with DRAC and not OMSA?  If so, it's pretty much belly up for us, and I'm hard pressed to understand how this could be the case as it guts the product.  I had zero success in discovering my servers, and now it seems the reason may be that it can't?  For a product that's already a year overdue based on browser tech discontinuation, this is not encouraging.

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

January 25th, 2018 11:00

Hi there,

Yes, that is correct.  The product focus is mainly on iDRAC discovery although there is some ability to discover in-band Windows or in-band Linux/SSH.

I'll make sure I pass along your feedback on the h/w support level to the right folks.  I'm assuming you are looking for support for pre-12G PowerEdge models, correct?

Thanks,

Rob

1 Message

January 26th, 2018 01:00

Hello,

I've installed Dell OpenManage Enterprise yesterday. I can find and discover server via iDRAC discovery on the same subnet that OME but when a started discovery on other subnet i've the same error like other guys.

I've OpenManage Essential that run successfully on all iDRAC from all server of my compagny.

thanks for your help...

4 Posts

January 26th, 2018 05:00

I can discover R510 fine but R710 and R910 get instantly failed when trying to discover. 

All the devices have the same v2.90 iDRAC firmware and are on the same subnet.

Any ideas?

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

January 26th, 2018 06:00

Hi @jcappelle

Ok, just to be clear, can you specify what model of PowerEdge server you are trying to discover?

In OM Essentials, we supported both SNMP and WSMan discovery of an iDRAC.  For Enterprise, we are supporting only WSMan discovery of the iDRAC.

The different subnet should be ok.  Did you put those in the same discovery task or a separate task?  I wouldn't think it would matter, but for the purposes of troubleshooting, maybe create a new disc task and enter a known IP from that subnet just to check.  And be sure to use just WSMan default settings.

You might try using the Dell Troubleshooting tool to double check the connection to one of the iDRACS.  It kind of depends on your environment as to if that tool will be useful (it's Windows based, etc.).  But in some cases it can help if you run the WSMan test.

Thanks,

Rob

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

January 26th, 2018 06:00

Hi @MLaanem

Thanks for the post.  As you point out, if the networking and f/w is set up the same on the 710/910, you should be good to go.  I'm assuming you are using the default settings for the disc wizard (just WSMan only).

Sometimes, for debugging, it is helpful to create a new discovery task with just a single IP for one of the 710/910 servers.

Can you see if the troubleshooting tool can run a successful WSMan test to connect to one of the 710/910?

Thanks,

Rob

4 Posts

January 28th, 2018 23:00

Hi @DELL-Rob C and thank you for your quick reply

I have tried a single IP discovery and subnet discovery. Its the same result both ways. 

Troubleshooting tool WSMAN test is successful.

error message is: 

CJOB4065 : Performing a manatory Action GET_SYSTEM_SUMMARY with profile HYPERV_SERVER of the Device Management operation DISCOVERY Failed.
CJOB4065 : Performing a manatory Action GET_SYSTEM_SUMMARY with profile WIN_SERVER of the Device Management operation DISCOVERY Failed.
Task Failed. Execution has completed

4 Posts

January 29th, 2018 06:00

Also i noticed that all the R510 have Express licences but R710 and R910 have Enterprise licences. Maybe the issue is with iDRAC licences?

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

January 29th, 2018 08:00

Ok, thanks for the detail, but it sounds like you are saying the R510 (express) does discover ok yeah?

hmmmm.  If you wanted to try running a winrm command from a Windows server box to see if it returns any data:

winrm e cimv2/DCIM_SystemView -u:root -p:calvin -r:https://0.0.0.0/wsman -SkipCNCheck -SkipCACheck -skipRevocationcheck -encoding:utf-8 -a:Basic

where the 0.0.0.0 is your iDRAC IP address.  But we may need a support ticket to take a closer look. 

Rob

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

February 6th, 2018 09:00

Hi @rsbomar

Yes, this is true.  With Enterprise we loose the in-band OMSA+SNMP approach to monitor and updates in favor of out of band iDRAC updates.

I will pass along your feedback to the right folks to indicate your interest in the in-band updates.

Thanks,

Rob

15 Posts

So are we losing the ability to manage Windows drivers with Enterprise?  With Essentials and using In-band and Out of Band I was able to manage the "Full Life Cycle" of our servers.  If that is being removed with Enterprise how is this better for the long term management of my servers?

15 Posts

So what was the plan for managing In-Band updates like drivers?

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

February 6th, 2018 11:00

Hi,

The product team indicated to me that the support for in-band updates is on the roadmap--though I don't have a date available to share.

Thanks much,

Rob

No Events found!