Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 26th, 2013 01:00

About inventory server name

hi :

The server name of the inventory in the OME is the hostname of the system, I didn't like that, I want convert is to IP address, can I ?

327 Posts

September 26th, 2013 09:00

A device is represented in the device tree based on the name resolution setting: DNS or NETBIOS

The default setting is DNS (Manage->Discovery and Inventory -> Discovery Schedule). Unfortunately there is no way to convert this to IP address for multiple reasons:

A device can be multi homed. Multiple NICs could be configured.

A device can have multiple agents (iDRAC, Server administrator etc.). Each of them can return different IP addresses.

Thanks,
Raj Shresta

September 27th, 2013 03:00

I only SNMP to discover server, It will be IP,when my server's hostname is localhost, So,I think OME which isn't get name from srvadmin only! OME will be judge hostname, if it's localhost then IP else hostname ,YES ?

Thanks,

JianhuaZhou from china!

September 27th, 2013 03:00

327 Posts

September 27th, 2013 07:00

That's correct, if it is localhost, then OME will use IP address as device name.

Thanks,

Raj Shresta

25 Posts

October 1st, 2013 09:00

Another issue regarding server name.

When a server OS is rebuilt under new name - I can see it still shows in OME under old name.

Old name was removed from DNS long time ago.

How can this be fixed?

Community Manager

• 

711 Posts

October 1st, 2013 10:00

Thanks for the update.

Can you ping the device from OME using IP address and check what name shows up in the result?

Regards

Abhijit

Community Manager

• 

711 Posts

Can you try deleting the server from OME device tree and re-discovering it?

Regards

Abhijit

25 Posts

I wish it was so easy. I tried it couple of times already.

Still old name shows

25 Posts

October 1st, 2013 14:00

I don't really get it - when you ping IP address you get only IP address in replies.

Maybe you meant to ping by name?

Is reverse DNS zone used in OME to translate host's IP into name?

Community Manager

• 

711 Posts

October 1st, 2013 14:00

Sorry. I was not clear in the earlier post. I meant run "ping -a

This would return hostname back if OME server is able to resolve IP address to hostname using reverse DNS lookup.

Regards

Abhijit

25 Posts

October 2nd, 2013 01:00

I solved it.

I found the old name in the DNS reverse lookup zone.

So this is what is used for server names in OME.

Community Manager

• 

711 Posts

October 2nd, 2013 07:00

Thanks for taking the time to update. Glad to hear that the issue is resolved. OME does use the DNS reverse lookup to retrieve the server name.

Regards

Abhijit

1K Posts

October 9th, 2013 04:00

Hi,

If your nslookup is working and resolving the hostname to DNS name then OME should be showing the DNS name. In case, the name is not getting resolved properly then OME shows the hostname. You can try doing an nslookup for the device where you are seeing the hostname in device tree.

If you want to see the hostname only for all the devices, you can navigate to discovery schedule settings and select NetBIOS for name resolution. That should show you hostname for all the devices.

October 9th, 2013 04:00

OME use DNS to reverse hostname,but use the system hostname mostly !

For example: the first is hostname of system,another is the name by DNS reversed, but the serveradmin's name is the hostname, it's so confusing!

No Events found!