Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 29th, 2011 08:00

Alert criteria on main dashboard?

Apologies for the number of posts with questions but need to get this setup properly.  Are the Alerts on the Home Portal and Alert Notifications triggered via SNMP status and not OMSA status?  I've got a server I'm testing health alerts with and while the server shows up with the correct status on the Manage\Devices tab of Health Status Critical, I'm not seeing any alerts for it on the main page and no alerts via email that the power supply has failed.  I've made sure the alerting criteria and SNMP security parameters are correct. 

Thanks!

2.8K Posts

November 29th, 2011 08:00

HI Zerin (still looking at your other post),

Yeah, so the portal page has the Alert Console and Alert Pie Chart.  Both of those relate back to SNMP

alerts that have been sent from the device.

Here is the way health works on OME:

1. An SNMP alert is sent from the device to  OME.
  2. OME receives the alert into the alert console
  3. When the alert comes into OME, OME goes and does a status check of the device.  If using SNMP, it will go check the rollup health OID to see what the health of the device is
  4. Then the health of the device is updated in OME based on the health check.
  5. Also, the health is checked based on a periodic status poll (default is 60 minutes).
It sounds like you have checked this, but be sure that the managed node (target server) has the 
SNMP properties set to forward traps to the OME console.  This is described in the First Time Setup 
in the tutorial section.  You can fake an alert by going into OMSA on the managed node and 
playing around with the temperature threshold settings (be sure to set it back! :) )
Good luck,
Rob

59 Posts

November 29th, 2011 09:00

Rob,

Thanks for the explanation of how it works.  I've confirmed that the SNMP traps are setup exactly how described during the tutorial.  The OMSA triggers on the server I'm setting the alerts on work immediately, however it still does not apear to be sending them via SNMP.  Do I need to configure anything on the OMSA of the managed node aside from the SNMP service settings?

2.8K Posts

November 29th, 2011 09:00

Your MN is Windows right? (not Linux).  That should be all you need to set up.

There is a Dell Troubleshooting tool installed on your desktop.  It has a section where you can test SNMP trap reception outside of OME.  I wonder if you start that up and then do the trick in OMSA where you fake out the temperature threshold, do you see a trap coming in the TS tool.  

Can you try that?  I think wireshark or etherial is another tool some folks use to test snmp trap reception.

2.8K Posts

November 29th, 2011 10:00

A few more ideas:

Make sure the proper ports are open for SNMP 161 and 162 and OMSA 1311.

Make sure the SNMP services are started on both the OME server and the OMSA node.

Restart the DSM Essentials Network Monitor Service in case there is some issue with it.

Make sure the continuous updates checkbox is checked on the alerts grid in OME.

59 Posts

Rob, should I see notifications of SNMP traps coming across real time on the Dell SNMP listener tool?  I haven't seen anything and I've triggered a thermal event as well as loss of a power supply.  

2.8K Posts

Yeah, there may be a delay of 10-15 seconds.  You can try etherial as well (spelling?), but you may have to stop the OME services so you don't get contention with the SNMP ports.

Just to be certain, the SNMP properties on the MN has the trap destination field populated with the IP address of the OME server yeah?  And the community string is case sensitive...that is sometimes the problem.

12 Posts

November 30th, 2012 19:00

I am running into a similar issue. Wireshark shows the alert is received, but OME does not appear to see it. Wireshark also shows a response of destination unreachable (port unreachable). netstat -a does not show anything listening on 162, but 161 is open.

What could cause this problem?

12 Posts

December 4th, 2012 19:00

I figured this was because SNMP Trap service failed to start. Once I restarted it, everything seems to be working ok

2.8K Posts

December 5th, 2012 07:00

Great news.  Thanks for taking the time to post an update.  This should help other folks that may run into the same problem.

Regards,

Rob

No Events found!