Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

September 28th, 2012 08:00

Cannot acknowledge alerts

Just installed OME (1.0.1.1253) and have one server being managed (ESXi 4.1). I did some maintenance on the ESXi machine which generated some alerts (system down, back up) but I can't acknowledge them. Checked the User Guide which says to right-click on the alert and select Acknowledge but I don't have that option. My options are Details and Export. Am I missing something or do I need to configure an additional feature?

Community Manager

• 

711 Posts

September 28th, 2012 08:00

Hi,

Thanks for your post. You should be able to see all actions for alerts without any additional configuration. I assume you are looking at Home Portal page Alerts web part or going to Manage->Alerts->Alert Logs->All alerts.

One thing to check is permissions. Is the account you are using part of OMEAdministrators group? You can verify that by moving the mouse over to top right corner on the user name. Do you see "OMEAdministators" group in the groups list?

Regards

Abhijit

September 28th, 2012 09:00

Thanks, I'll check out that thread. But I just had another weird thing happen (maybe it's related, maybe not). As stated above I was able to be recognized as an administrator by accessing OME from my desktop. After acknowledging the alerts and browsing around a bit more, my account changed to be in just the Users and Guests on its own. I'm not sure what's happening now, very weird.

Community Manager

• 

711 Posts

Thanks for the updates. Till your account is part of OMEAdministrators group, you won't have permissions for many of the "write" operations. OMEUsers is kind of "read-only" group.

local administrators group gets added to OMEAdministrators group by default. For domain administrators group OME has to query AD which may introduce delays. There was a thread around this yesterday which has additional details on how it works.

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/systems-management/f/4494/p/19468366/20193028.aspx#20193028 

For now, if you can add your account to the local administrators group, you should have immidiate access to everything.

Regards

Abhijit

Ignore this post

Ah hah, I am a part of OMEGuests and OMEUsers. Checked the manual and see that the Windows Administrators group is a member of OME Admins by default. I'm a member of Domain Admins which is a member of the Administrators group on this machine however OME doesn't seem to be picking that up.

In checking the actual OMEAdministrators group in Local Users and Groups, I see the member is BUILTIN\Administrators (S-1-5-32-544).

Do I have to add my account individually or is this a bug? (The OS that OME is running on is Win Server 2K8 R2)

Edit

Weird, just noticed that I also can't add/change discovery ranges. I was doing this yesterday just fine. Wonder if there's something else going on.

Edit

Okay even more weird things. If I log into OME via web browser on my own desktop, I get the Admin privileges. It's just when I'm accessing OME on the server that I installed it on via Remote Desktop. Have you seen this before?

No Events found!