Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 9th, 2013 22:00

ESXi 5.0 server is unknown type of server in OME

Hi,

I've multiple ESXi boxes in my setup with same ESXi and bundle version of (VMware ESXi 5.0.0 build-623860) servers.

But one of my ESXi PowerEdge M910 server model is not coming properly in my OME sever it discover as unknown type of device, noting information is coming but as unknown device it throwing some alerts like this & that VMs has lost heartbeat IP address. I don't know why its is happening only for this server rest till now tested servers are OK.

Executed the below command and check the in OME alert tracker, SNMP cold and warm trap received

vicfg-snmp.pl --server hostname --username root --password mypassword --test

but I tired to check with Dell Troubleshoot  also here getting the error "The SNMP read request has failed to get community name - public" but I'm surprised this same error is coming for all servers which discovered in OEM properly.

Any suggestion please... I'm totally stuck...

327 Posts

February 11th, 2013 08:00

Hi,

For discovering ESXi hosts, it is strongly recommended to use WSMAN protocol in OME. You can leave SNMP protocol enabled as WSMAN will take priority if both are enabled.

Is OMSA VIB installed on all your ESXi boxes ? If not, you may not get complete asset data (Ex: storage controllers, physical disks, virtual disks etc.).

Also check if ESXi box responds to WSMAN using Troubleshoot tool.

Thanks,
Raj Shresta

13 Posts

February 11th, 2013 19:00

OMSA already installed and SNMP also configured...

when I'm discovering the devices its coming as unknown devices.

I tried to check through Troubleshoot  tool and getting failed in SNMP and WSMAN

for WSMAN error is "username and password not correct connection failed " and for SNMP error is

"SNMP read request has failed to get community name  - public" .

but when i use  "vicfg-snmp.pl --server hostname --username root  --password passw@od --test"  this command

getting cold and warm agent alert in OME server.

2.8K Posts

February 12th, 2013 08:00

Ok, well the SNMP test failure is interesting.  Are you sure you have SNMP enabled properly on the node and you are using the right read community string (note that they are case sensitive)?

Thanks,

Rob

No Events found!