Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 12th, 2012 13:00

ESXi 5, build 721882 does not work with OpenManage Essentials

I have 4 ESXi 5.0 servers.

I had all of them monitored via our OpenManage Essentials server using WS-Man.  All of the expected information populated successfully. The only curious part was that it showed a Question Mark for the status.  No big deal though.

Jump to today.  I decided to do the updates to my ESXi server farm today. They were running build ESXi 5.0 52xx (I can't remember the last two numbers.)

I upgraded one server which had OM Srvadmin 6.5.  I applied all the latest ESXi updates making it ESXi 5.0 721882, and upgraded to OM SrvAdmin 7.1.

I proceeded to do this to all but one of my ESXi servers before I noticed that i my servers weren't updating in Essentials.

I can run the Testing Tool on all of them successfully.

On the final server I decided to ONLY install ESX updates and not the SrvAdmin update.  Once I installed all of the ESXi updates and rebooted, OpenManage Essentials lost communication to it.   So one of the updates is killing connectivity between the two.

I've spent most of the day attempting to find what broke it, but all I can be sure of is that it's an update from ESXi.  Since they were all working before the updates.  Then they all broke after installing the updates.  :(

Please help!

July 12th, 2012 14:00

I have tried increasing the timeout to 10.  The highest that will save is 5.

I mentioned in my first post that the testing tool came back with all expected responses.  I meant the troubleshooting tool.  Sorry.

Attached is my testing tool results.

Community Manager

• 

711 Posts

Thanks for the update. The troubleshooting Tool output looks fine. I'm not sure I understand the statement about timeout value. You should be able to increase the timeout value in the WS-MAN page in the discovery wizard in OME by clicking the up arrow or by typing the value.

You can also try deleting the existing range and create a new one with increased timeout.

Regards

Abhijit

Community Manager

• 

711 Posts

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. We'll take a look at this in our labs. Meanwhile, can you try troubleshooting tool and see if you get any response back from these servers using WS-MAN protocol?

Another thing to try would be to increase the WS-MAN timeout value in the discvoery wizard to 10 if you haven't done so already.

Regards

Abhijit

Community Manager

• 

711 Posts

July 12th, 2012 15:00

Thanks for the update. That does sound stranage. I'm able to change the timeout value successfully in my install. Is this for all values or just the timeout value on WS-MAN page?

July 12th, 2012 15:00

If i type in 15 for the timeout value, when I click "finish" I can see it revert back to 5.  I go into edit, and it shows 5.

Same thing happens if I create a new range.  The highest number that will save is 5.  Any higher number I enter reverts to 5.

Community Manager

• 

711 Posts

July 13th, 2012 07:00

Thanks for the updates.

We have seen ESXi 5.0 being slow in response to WS-MAN queries and typically setting the WS-MAN timeout value to 10 resolves that issue. As I mentioned we'll test this build in the lab and check the behavior on our end.

Regards

Abhijit

July 13th, 2012 07:00

I might have been a tiny bit hasty in the timeout. The way it works is a little wonky.

I've determined the limitations:

SNMP can't be set any higher than 15 seconds

WS-Man can't be set any higher than 15

IPMI can't be set any higher than 60.

I may have been trying 16 on WS-Man.  If you put in 16, it doesn't revert to the highest number, it reverts it back to the last number used.  So this time when I put in 15, it accepted it, but made no difference in terms of getting information.

July 13th, 2012 08:00

Well, the first 2 attempts at populating with that setting failed.  But apparently the automated attempt that happens every hour was successful.  So this seems to have fixed my problem.  Thank you very much for the help!!!

Community Manager

• 

711 Posts

July 13th, 2012 08:00

Thanks for the update. Looks like you are able to get the inventory and health information for all your ESXi servers now. Let us know if you run into any issues.

Regards

Abhijit

3 Posts

July 24th, 2012 06:00

Hi, I'm new to the forum and OME but I seem to have the same problem. I have esxi 5 u1 build 768111. OMSA vesrion 7.1.0 . I have increased the the timeout and it still does not work.

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

July 24th, 2012 07:00

Hi there,

Did you have this working correctly with ESXi5 before the vmware update?  Or are you just trying to get it working for the first time?

Thanks,

Rob

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

July 24th, 2012 09:00

Ok,

I think the documentation states that only for  ESXi 4 do you need to change the CIMOEMProvidersEnabled’ or ‘CIMoemProviderEnabled’ not ESXi5.

For Discovery Range uncheck SNMP and only do WSMAN.

That's generally all you need.  If it is still not working I may need to direct you to the queue to open a ticket (800-945-3355).

Thanks,

Rob

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

Ok,

So just to confirm you've done the following since it is the first time you are trying to get it working:

en.community.dell.com/.../20071085.aspx

Also a few other threads on ESXi here:

en.community.dell.com/.../19424735.aspx

en.community.dell.com/.../19436722.aspx

Can you tell me what you adjusted the timeout value to?

Also, can you create a discovery range with just one ip addr and only wsman to try and narrow the debugging effort?

thanks much,

Rob

3 Posts

Hi

I installed the vib with VUM. I verified with esxcli command : OpenManage 7.1-0000 Dell VMware Accepted 2012-07-11 on all five hosts. I rechecked the SNMP settings witch also wokrs from my nagios server. I can't find CIMOEMProvidersEnabled’ or ‘CIMoemProviderEnabled’ but everything is enabled exept shellsupresswarning. From the OMSA webconsole i can log on to the OMSA on the esxi server an see everything.

I changed the timeout value to 15 and 4 retries. I already created a discoveryrange with only the ip's of  esxi hosts with the ws-man logon cridentials for root and the community string for SNMP.

3 Posts

Hi, it's for the first time. SNMP works and OME identifies them as esx hosts. I also tried the toubleshooting tool with ws-man and get the same result as hereisoblivion in the screenshot above.

No Events found!