Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 12th, 2015 04:00

Help with trap config

Hi,

We are using OME to monitor some HP switches. We have come to accept that they will remain as unknown devices however I am having some difficulties with the HP-SWITCH-TRAP-MIB.

As far as I can tell, this MIB assigns the model number of the switch to the alert generated. Below I have captured an example of an alert with the MIB and an example without the MIB.

Here is the alert with the MIB:

And here is the same alert without the MIB (I just blanked out the IP and name of device):

SO the problem I have here is that, with the MIB loaded, then the alert does not give any details of the actual error itself, only that an RMON event has happened. But then when I take the MIB out then I get a lot more details on the actual issue (PVID mismatch) however the alert comes up as an unknown and I want to avoid this.

Am I doing something wrong? Is there any way to further customise the Trap or Alert?

November 13th, 2015 15:00

Hi,

Thanks for the detailed post.

Yes, there is way you can further customize the Trap/Alert definition in OME with the help of MIBImport Utility. (Refer section - "Edit Trap" in Dell OpenManage Essentials MIB Import Utility - Monitoring HP Servers white paper).

You can search the trap by Source name or OID in the edit trap screen and confirm the "Format String" value for this trap is what you are seeing in the description. So, you need to change the format string appropriately (Usually this is not required if the MIB is well defined) to see more information in the alert description once the corresponding trap is received in OME.

For example, if there are two varbinds which gives two port information for the trap and then the format string should be changed like this:
"PVID mismatch on port $1 (VID unknown) with peer device port $2"

So you need to analyze the varbind exposed by the trap before forming the format string. The varbind like $1, $2, $3, etc. will be replaced by actual trap information when received.

Let us know if this helps.

Thanks,
Vijay

7 Posts

November 16th, 2015 02:00

Thank you for the response.

What you say makes sense however, this particular MIB does not seem to have any varbind values associated with it. The message given is plain text. Here is a screen shot of the Traps that show after parsing the MIB:

As you can see, the traps identify the switch model and then give the plain text message.

Other traps I have seen all ready have varbind values within which makes sense. But what do I do when there are no varbind values? Should I be able to assign my own varbind values? If that is the case, how do I determine which values to use?

November 17th, 2015 13:00

Yes, you are correct. I analyzed the HP-Switch-Trap MIB and can see that there are no variables defined for the traps you have mentioned in the screenshot in your post.

However, looking at the data from the unknown trap  hpSwitchJ9776A (.1.3.6.1.4.1.11.2.3.7.11.140), it appears the MIB agent is giving additional data.

Try to append the format string for this particular trap with $1  (For ex. "An SNMP.... +Switch. $1") and see when trap actually gets generated from device, are you seeing any additional information?

Thanks,
Vijay

7 Posts

November 18th, 2015 02:00

Wow Vijay, look at what I got after appending $1 onto the end of the message:

This is exactly what I wanted!! Thank you very much for your assistance. Kind of annoying that there doesn't seem to be any noticeable distinction for the varbind values but we got there in the end :)

Thanks again!

No Events found!