Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

June 18th, 2012 07:00

Information present in OMSA are missing through OME console

Hello,

Here's my setup. One WK8 R2 with OME installed. One WK8 R2 with OMSA installed. The server has been discvered and inventoried properly in OME. However, there are much more information in OMSA than OME like fans status etc...

Am I missing something, is there a way to display exactly all the information from OMSA in OME or this is by design?

Thanks for helping!

17 Posts

June 18th, 2012 08:00

Hello,

Thanks for the answer. I haven't check everything in depth but I'd appreciate if you could give the list of all components that status are nbot gathered by OME.

I have used SNMP and WMI in order to discover and to inventory the windows box. Should I use something else like WS-MAN or IPMI?

Thanks for your help!

Laurent

Community Manager

• 

711 Posts

June 18th, 2012 08:00

Hi,

Thanks for your post. I'm assuming you are using SNMP to discover the server and gather inventory data. SNMP provides more information than WMI especially related to storage components. OME currently does not gather fan status and we can definitely send the request over to marketing so that we can look into adding that for future release. Is there anything more you would like to see in the inventory screen?

Regards

Abhijit

Community Manager

• 

711 Posts

June 18th, 2012 09:00

Hi Laurent,

Thanks for the updates.

SNMP with OMSA installed on the target server gives the maximum amount of inventory information for windows servers. WMI is next which doesn't provide storage components inventory as there is no WMI provider for storage in OMSA. IPMI provides least amount of inventory information and WS-MAN is only used for gathering information from ESXi servers.

OME gathers almost all the information which is exposed by OMSA over SNMP and which is useful for 1 to many monitoring. As I mentioned earlier, OME does not gather fan status information currently and we can add it for future. There isn't much information which is available and missing. Since the information is gathered for all the servers, it does add to the time taken by inventory. If there is something which you monitor using OMSA as part of your operations and is not available in OME, do let us know.

Typically when a ciritical health is reported for a system, you can right click on the target server and lanuch OMSA to investigate further.

Regards

Abhijit

17 Posts

Thanks for the answer. So if a fan fails on a managed server, would it  appear on OME? I mean would I get an alert from OME? I guess from there, like you suggested, I would be able to launch OMSA and stat my troubleshooting.

Community Manager

• 

711 Posts

I believe if the fan fails, OMSA will be able to generate an alert and the health status for the server may also change and both of those are displayed in OME. That will allow you to launch OMSA and investigate the issue further.

Regards

Abhijit

No Events found!