Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 1st, 2016 12:00

OM Essentials not sending emails

I'm fairly new to OM Essentials.  We have it installed on a  new server and it did fine discovering all of our physical servers.

I created an Email Alert Action for those physical servers and had it use SMTP, but now if I unplug a power cable on one of the servers (that I assume OM Essentials is now monitoring), it never sends an alert by email.  I did test the SMTP when I set up the rule and the test came through just fine.

Is this an alert setup issue or another issue?  I noticed that Health Status next to all the physical servers is "?".  

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

336 Posts

February 3rd, 2016 08:00

Actually I was referring to Manage/Devices/click the specific server in the tree/click the Alerts tab in the server information window, but Manage/Alerts will do it too. It just might be harder to find one particular alert, as that shows all the alerts for everything.

If you don't see an alert there, then OME's not receiving the alerts from the server and/or the server's not sending them, or not sending them to the right place.

I believe you also need to configure the DRACs on your servers to send their SNMP traps to the OME server, or you won't get the hardware alerts you're looking for.

From the OME manual:

Troubleshooting Receiving SNMP Traps
If you encounter a problem receiving SNMP traps, perform the following steps to troubleshoot and fix the problem:

1. Check for network connectivity between the two systems. You can do this by pinging one system from another using the ping command.

2.Check the SNMP configuration on the managed node. Ensure that you have specified the OpenManage Essential console IP address and the community string name in the SNMP services of the managed node.

3.Ensure that the SNMP Trap service services are running in the Open Manage Essentials system.

4.Check firewall settings to allow UDP 161, 162 ports.

The DRACs also have a test feature to see whether you have the SNMP traps set up correctly. It will send a test trap out, and if everything is configured correctly OME will receive and log it.

26 Posts

February 3rd, 2016 07:00

Do you mean under the Manage tab, then "Alerts"?

No, I don't see an alert there for it.

336 Posts

February 3rd, 2016 07:00

Do you see the alert in OME's alert log for that server? If not, then there's nothing being sent to OME for it to log and thus e-mail you about.

26 Posts

February 3rd, 2016 13:00

Thanks!  I walked through your steps and got it working.   I think it was those UDP ports in the firewall that did the trick.

336 Posts

February 3rd, 2016 13:00

Great! Glad to be of help.

No Events found!