Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 2nd, 2012 07:00

OME 1.0.1.1253 SMTP Problems (5.7.1 client was not authenticated)

Hello,

I apologize if this has been discussed before (I searched for this problem and couldn't find any other issues that were exactly like it). I just installed OME on a new windows server 2008 R2 machine and have been having some intermittent problems with alerts being sent out.

Every once in a while I will get an SMTP 5.7.1 error in the logs (client was not authenticated). The weird thing about this is that it doesn't happen consistently. Last night I took a server down for maintenance and it successfully sent out the email for the server being down, but failed to send the server normal email. I have 3 different alerts set up (to 3 different email addresses, for testing purposes) and all 3 got the down message but not the up.

I also get the same behavior with the test email button in the alert setup (it would be nice if there was an easier way to test emails instead of having to go into the edit alert menu). Sometimes it will send out the test alert email and other times it won't.

I don't believe this is a problem with the exchange server because we have another server set up with IPSentry that sends out alert emails in much the same manner (if things break really bad it can send out at least 30-50 emails in a few seconds). We have never had a problem with IPSentry not sending emails.

Thank you for your help,

Andrew

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

November 2nd, 2012 07:00

Hi Andrew, I hope we can help you out here.

First, can you tell me if you have gone to the Email settings screen under the OME preferences tab to set up your SMTP details?

There is a logging button there that might be of help, can you give it a try?  Just remember to disable when you are done since it can impact performance.

Let me know how that goes.

Rob

November 2nd, 2012 08:00

I have everything set up in the email tab the way I believe it should be. I also have the logging level set to errors only. I will set it to everything now.

----

I just sent out another test email and it failed. Earlier this morning I sent 7 emails in a row and they all worked fine.

Also (a bit unrelated), the timestamps in the application logs are way off. The error I just got was shown to be at 4AM.

November 2nd, 2012 09:00

I am running 1.0.1.1253.

I will try to update to the latest version.

I also have been talking extensively with our server team and they have told me that everything seems fine on their end.

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

November 2nd, 2012 09:00

Ok, great.  The logs will be key.

BTW, are you using OME 1.0.1 or OME 1.1?  Lot's of changes in 1.1 around UTC/time zones.

Let me known if the additional logging level tells you anything useful.

Regards,

Rob

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

November 2nd, 2012 10:00

Ok,

I'd save the SMTP log files at any rate.  I don't think there were big changes in the SMTP code for 1.1.  Feel free to call support and ask them to have a look at the logs before you upgrade (800-945-3355).  Hopefully, they can see what's up.

Rob

November 8th, 2012 11:00

After some troubleshooting I think I got it to work properly now. I set up an SMTP server on the OME server and had it forward to our exchange server. It seems to be fully functional now.

19 Posts

June 28th, 2013 06:00

Hai Andrew...

we have similar problems here - which kind of SMTP server did you set up as a workaround ?

Thanks, stephan.

June 28th, 2013 07:00

I installed hmailserver (since it was free). I then set up OME to send emails to 127.0.0.1 and just had hmailserver forward everything to the company exchange server.

No Events found!