Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 17th, 2014 02:00

OME 2.0.1.2222 -Error DSM Essentials Task Manager service is currently not running

Hi Guys,

So to start, we have about 30-40 PCs and growing. A couple were deployed using a WDS before the timezones were set properly.

So i need to reset those time zones and since User accounts have everything blocked( as in Administration access) I would need to log out the user and login with my Admin account, So this isnt really an option as it would cause downtime and more work for me.

We are running windows 7 clients, and Windows 2008 R2 servers, we have 2 DC's and i have OME installed on one of them.

So i decided to test OME > Manage > Remote Tasks

I created a CMD task with this command : tzutil /s "Central European Standard Time", targeted a test PC and set to Run now.

At this time, the service DSM Essentails task manager is running and so are all other DSM services.

After about 30 secounds i get a Red Triangle beeping showing me the above error, i check services and DSM Task manager is not running, not even stopped, just set to automating and status is blank. After a minute it starts back up.

Now i cant figure out why it keeps stopping, read a whole bunch of info on google and nothing relating to this issue excacly, and all similer stuff was fixed wth easy steps which dont apply here.

I was wondering if http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2962486 might have affected it, but this is for GPO tasks so i dont see how, also since these services are from OME.

Any ideas,help?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Peter B

1K Posts

December 17th, 2014 03:00

Hi Peter,

Does the task manager service crash as soon as you execute this command through OME? When the task manager crashes, then a dump file with an extension of something like .dmp gets created in the bin folder where OME is installed. At this point of time, what i understand is you are trying is running the command through remote tasks >> Generic Command Line .

Can you help us with the arguments and parameters that you passed along with the command?

4 Posts

December 17th, 2014 05:00

Hi, It crashed about 30 sec's after i press RUN on the remote Task. I dont have a dump file in the folder :( I attached a screen of what looking at so that you can understand it better,

December 17th, 2014 07:00

Hi,

From the screenshot, I could see that you have selected "Remote Server Administrator Command" radio button and using "tzutil" command. tzutil is not a valid Server Administrator Command. You have to select the "Generic Command" and run the task.

You can also use Powershell to run the required command(tzutil). Refer the whitepaper "Leveraging PowerShell 2.0 with Dell OpenManage Essentials" for more details.

--

Girish

1K Posts

December 17th, 2014 21:00

Yes, and one thing to note is that generic command line executes on the local server unless you provide specific parameters. The whitepaper mentioned should help you, although we would still not want the task manager service to crash.

I missed the post that you did not get any dump file, so editing this post. Since you have not got any dump file, to check why the task manager is crashing, we will need to look into the logs. It would be great if you can log a trouble ticket at 800-945-3355.

Also. do try what Girish has mentioned. It should help you to run your commands on a remote server through scripting.

4 Posts

December 22nd, 2014 11:00

Hey guys, thank you for the responses.

Also i found the issue, My admin account user name starts with a P. after reading the FAQ it all became clear.

1K Posts

December 22nd, 2014 22:00

Hi,

Thanks for taking time to update the post. There is a problem with the parsing logic when the username starts with P. Although, the fix will be going in future release of OME.

No Events found!