Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 15th, 2012 04:00

OME Server + iDRAC6

Hi there,

We are trying to implement OME. I installed the latest version: 1.0.1.1253

We are using OMSA version 7 on our servers. They are equipped with an iDRAC6 Enterprise. We configured our iDRAC with IPMI and SNMP:

IPMI: Enable --> Administrator --> our key

SNMP: CIVIEL (enabled via the services tab in the iDRAC)

Also tried a different community: DRAC_civiel (so that it's different than my server.

On our servers (whether Linux or Windows) We configured SNMP and installed the OMSA.

SNMP: CIVIEL

No if I do a discovery and inventory on my iDRAC it shows up under my servers and not on the RAC group. It only show iDRAC and IPMI as monitoring

If I do a discovery and inventory on my Server it replaces the iDRAC under server group and it shows the omsa, storage, dell inventory collector iDRAC and IPMI.

If I only add my iDRAC as discovery range (So not the server) and use IPMI my iDRAC shows up as a server instead of RAC.

How can I monitor both? So that my server is under server group and my iDRAC under the RAC group?

Community Manager

• 

711 Posts

June 18th, 2012 09:00

Hi,

Thanks for your post.

You are right the behavior is confusing and we are cleaning it up in the upcoming OME release.

In OME 1.0.1, if you discover iDrac using IPMI, it appears as server under servers group. When you discover a corresponding server, the iDrac under servers group gets merged with the discovered server. The iDrac entry goes away and the information gets added to server inventory.

For iDrac discovered over SNMP, the entry gets created under RAC group. After you discover the server, an entry for that server gets added under Servers group and the entry for the iDrac is still present under RAC group.

If you are discovering a server with OMSA, it gives you all the inventory information and health status as well as information about the iDrac. In that case you don't need to discover iDrac 6 separately. OMSA provides information about iDrac IP address and you can also launch iDrac console by right clicking on the discovered server. This would be the easiest option for you.

If you want to see server under servers and iDrac under RAC group, you can disable IPMI in the discover wizard, enable SNMP and discover the server and the iDrac as part of your discovery range. As I mentioned above, if you already have OMSA installed and discover the server, you don't have to discover iDrac 6 separately.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Abhijit

4 Posts

June 19th, 2012 01:00

Hi Abhijit,

Thanks for the info. One more question. If I only use omsa, will it then still state a problem with an iDrac? I know if I discover the iDrac sperately using SNMP it will.

June 19th, 2012 07:00

Hi, what is the prefer way of managing 12G Servers ? Since all the Management is no Agent-less, and iDRAC7 can send SNMP alerts. Do we still need to load OMSA in order to use OME?

What is the preferred way of discovering the 12G Servers and iDRAC7 ?

Community Manager

• 

711 Posts

June 19th, 2012 08:00

Hi,

OMSA will be able to monitor overall server health and should let you know if there is a problem with iDrac. Since OMSA provides iDrac IP address and URL to launch, you can also right click on the server to launch iDrac console to get more details.

Regards

Abhijit

Community Manager

• 

711 Posts

June 19th, 2012 08:00

You can use OME 1.0.1 to monitor the server health and receive traps in Agent-less fashion for 12G servers. There is a tutorial in OME called "Discover and Monitor 12G servers without OMSA " which will walk you through the steps. Essentially, you will discover the server using WMI (assuming it is windows server) and discover iDrac7 using SNMP.

For sending Firmware/BIOS updates to that server, you will have to install OMSA since OME 1.0.1 sends the updates using in-band update mechanism. The upcoming OME 1.1 release will allow you to send updates using iDrac and will not need OMSA for that. OME 1.1 is slated to release around Q3/Q4 timeframe this year.

Regards

Abhijit

12 Posts

October 23rd, 2012 14:00

Folks,

What kind of inventory should I expect when using IDRAC alone? We have some hardware with IDRAC6 and some with IDRAC7. We would rather not install OMSA on all the hosts and so, wondering what we would miss out on if we did not use OMSA.

I currently only see:

Device summary with Name, Type (RAC), Model, Service Tag.

IDRAC agent version,

NIC information only for IDRAC

Firmware version - iDRAC Firmware

Regards

327 Posts

October 23rd, 2012 15:00

Hi,

Thanks for the post.

In OME 1.0.1, iDRAC6 and iDRAC7 can be discovered and inventoried using either SNMP or IPMI protocols.

If you discover iDRAC6 and iDRAC7 using SNMP protocol, following inventory info will be retrieved:

Device Info: Device name, Device type, Model, Service Tag, Location

NIC Info: IP Address, MAC Address

Firmware info: iDRAC version, name

Contact info: contact name, description, location

Overall Health status of Server (on iDRAC6, health of storage subsystem is not retrieved)

Following inventory info is retrieved if iDRAC6 and iDRAC7 discovered via IPMI protocol

Device Info: Device name, Device type, Model, Service Tag, Location

NIC Info: IP Address, MAC Address

Firmware info: iDRAC version, name

Operating System info: OS Name, OS version (if OS installed and running)

Partial Health status of Server (as reported on server LCD panel)

OMSA reports lot more hardware inventory data than iDRAC 6/7, such as memory, processors, Power Supply, Embedded devices, PCI devices, Storage (virtual disks, physical disks, enclosure, controller).

However OME 1.1 release is due to RTS on Oct 30, 2012 (a week from now) which will provide support for discovery and inventory of iDRAC 6/7 using WSMAN protocol. The inventory data retrieved using WSMAN from iDRAC is almost equivalent to OMSA.

-Raj Shresta

12 Posts

October 23rd, 2012 22:00

Thank you for the detailed response Raj!

What would I be missing with regard to monitoring without the OMSA? Any particular failures, other than IDRAC failure, that wouldn't be reported?

Also, is there a beta version of 1.1 available?

327 Posts

October 24th, 2012 08:00

With iDRAC 6 (11G servers), health monitoring is only limited to components in Server subsystem.  Storage subsystem health monitoring is not supported. In terms of SNMP alerts, OMSA supports more alerts than iDRAC6.

With iDRAC 7 (12G servers), health monitoring and SNMP alerts is equivalent to OMSA. OMSA may have few more informational alerts.

With less than a week for OME 1.1 release, I would not advise customers to use Beta version as there is no upgrade/migration path from beta version to release version. You may want to wait until Oct 30th.

Thanks,

Raj Shresta

327 Posts

October 30th, 2012 15:00

OME 1.0.1 only supported SNMP and IPMI protocols for discovery/inventory of iDRAC 6. To get additional data, discover iDRAC6 using WSMAN protocol and disable SNMP/IPMI protocol in OME 1.1 release. Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,

Raj Shresta

12 Posts

October 30th, 2012 15:00

Raj,

I just installed OME 1.1 and deleted the server with IDRAC6 (PowerEdge R510) and ran discovery & inventory again.

I do not see the information change at all. I am not seeing any additional data than I saw before. What might I be missing?

12 Posts

October 30th, 2012 17:00

Raj,

How would I go about configuring WS-MAN on IDRAC6. I tried using IDRAC user name and password in WS-MAN settings during discovery, but that did not help.

Is there something I need to change in IDRAC?

327 Posts

October 31st, 2012 09:00

In the OME discovery wizard, under WSMAN configuration page, make sure to enable "Secure Mode". If you dont have the certificate (file), select "Skip common name check" and "Trusted Site" options as well. Re-run discovery/inventory.

If the issue persists, launch "Troubleshooting Tool", select WSMAN, enter the IP address/hostname and credentials. Click "Run Test" to verify if WSMAN profiles are accesible.

Thanks,

Raj Shresta

12 Posts

October 31st, 2012 12:00

Thank you Raj! That worked like a charm.

12 Posts

October 31st, 2012 13:00

One last question - with 1.1 is there still a reason to install OMSA on the servers that have IDRAC6? Does 1.1 provide storage monitoring capabilities for machines with IDRAC6

No Events found!