Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 24th, 2013 10:00

OME not reporting hard drive failures or virtual disk degredation

I have OME running and I have two servers reporting, one Windows Server 2008 R2 and one ESXI 5.1 host. They are reporting to the OME server, but they are not reporting hard drive failures or when a virtual disk is in degraded state. I have SNMP configured and I am successfully receiving test traps. Can anyone help me to figure out why HDD and virtual disk problems are not reporting?

Thanks,

Adam

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

October 24th, 2013 15:00

Hi and thanks for the post.

A few questions. 

Are you discovering the server or the iDrac?

I am assuming you are discovering the server via SNMP and have OMSA/OMSS on the box.

So when you look at the server in OME, does the server health show as degraded?

When you say you are receiving test traps, that means you have sent a test trap from the _degraded server in question_ ?  Or just that OME is getting traps from other servers ok.

You might also post a question like this in the general systems management forum: "Is there any condition in which OMSA degrades a hard drive health but does not send out an SNMP alert?"   This question, I'm not certain of myself.

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/systems-management/f/4469.aspx

Of course we will monitor the physical hard drives itself.  When you say virtual disk do you mean logical volume?

Thanks,

Rob

5 Posts

October 25th, 2013 07:00

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply. 

-The overall health of the server show as healthy in OME (even though I have removed a drive from the RAID set).

-I am sending warmStart SNMP alerts from the system to the OME server to ensure that the alerts are being received.

-You are correct about the logical volume, but the concern is that I have a "failed" physical disk in my host but the OME server show healthy and is not reporting a disk failure.

I will post in the forum that you suggested, thanks again for the help.

Regards,

Adam

No Events found!