Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

2 Intern

• 

743 Posts

September 19th, 2012 15:00

OME vs SUU

Hi,

I am not sure what to make of the comparison below and would appreciate help as I explain it to our Server Admins.

Below are screenshots of running SUU on an m710HD and OME against the same server.

It seems that OME is not picking up the same needed updates that SUU is doing and vice-versa. There is, I'm sure, a better explanantion than I can provide for what is being seen.

Can someone pls explain what is happening?

Thx very much,

John Bradshaw

• 

6.2K Posts

Hello John

They are actually finding the same updates. The difference is that the SUU is listing each instance that the update will be applied and OME is only listing the update once. For example, SUU is listing the update from CS05 to CS07 twice because you have two drives that the update is applicable to. OME is only listing the update once.

The only difference between the two that I see is that the SUU has a standard VGA drive that OME doesn't. That VGA adapter appears to be quite old and is likely just there for installations since the SUU can be used as a repository during OS installs.

Aside from that they appear to be reporting the same thing, besides OME not listing inapplicable items that do not have an available update. If I have overlooked something let me know and I will check it again.

Thanks

2 Intern

• 

743 Posts

Hi Daniel,

Thx for that.

The Broadcomm updates (BCM577) seem to be in the SUU but not OME. Or am I mis-reading that?

JB

• 

6.2K Posts

September 19th, 2012 16:00

I knew there was going to be something I missed :)

Check your update location in OME or repository manager. Make sure it is set to reference our FTP site for updates. That will give it the most recent catalog. If it is referencing the FTP site and using the most recent catalog file and it still does not see that update then that update may have been removed from the catalog file because of an issue with it.

After reviewing those particular broadcom firmware updates there was an "Important Information" statement added to the version 7+ updates.

"Update from FW 6.2.x using USC/LC to this version of firmware is not available. The upgrade of any 57712-k adapter with 6.2.x fw is ONLY supported from a Windows or Linux OS"

This update restriction may have caused problems with updating via OME and SUU. In that case the SUU would not be updated with the changes, but the catalog file on the FTP site would. It would be removed from the catalog to avoid issues with updates. This is speculation at this point, I would have to verify with someone that works directly with the OpenManage platform. Maybe one of them will read this post and confirm or deny my hypothesis.

Thanks

2 Intern

• 

743 Posts

September 19th, 2012 17:00

Sounds like a pretty good guess to me Daniel. (Yes, FTP.dell is being used)

Thx for looking in to it.

John Bradshaw

Community Manager

• 

711 Posts

September 20th, 2012 08:00

Hi John,

Can you check if you are seeing the entry for this Broadcom Firmware in the Software Inventory table located in the Details tab for this server. It is possible that the version of OMSA installed on the target server is older and it may not be reporting this component as part of inventory. In that case, you will have to update the OMSA version on the target server to the latest.

Regards

Abhijit

Community Manager

• 

711 Posts

September 20th, 2012 15:00

Hi John,

Thanks for the update. It doesn't look like OME is getting the Broadcom firmware entry as part of inventory. The only entries I see for that are the driver entries. This is causing OME to not show the firmware updates. I'll check with the team if there is known issue around this firmware as it is not reported in the inventory.

Regards

Abhijit

2 Intern

• 

743 Posts

September 20th, 2012 15:00

• Hi Abhijit,

This is what I can see.....Does it look OK to you?

JB

No Events found!