Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 18th, 2014 10:00

OpenManage Essentials SQL native client question

Good day!

I have a Dell R510 running Windows server 2008 R2 Std 64bit.

This is a SQL server to begin with.

I am wanting to install OpenManageEssentials_2_0_A00 and one of the prerequisite is 

This system does not have SQL Native Client installed. Click here to install SQL Native Client

I already have the SQL Native Client installed version 10.51.2500.0.

Would there be a second instance running in the background, would it replace the one that I currently have, will it affect my current database. I am running Microsoft SQL server 2008 r2.

All the other prerequisite are alright to install, i am just wondering if I can run this prerequisite without damaging the other SQL Instance.

Thanks!

Stephen

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

November 18th, 2014 12:00

Hi and thanks for the post.

Very likely it will install the SQL Server 2012 instance of the native client.

There is no problem with having both versions on the same system.

Thanks much,

Rob

delltechcenter.com/ome 

November 18th, 2014 13:00

Thank you both for your help. I am going to wait for now, but I did attach it to one of our DC. It seems to be working but it has a ? where the health status is. The SNMP and WMI are all working per the troubleshooting tool so im not sure whats going on, back to the drawing board. Im just scared to put essentials on my SQL in fear that it will break my SQL with the native install..

thanks again!

Stephen

• 

8.7K Posts

November 18th, 2014 13:00

Hi Stephen,

If it is a newer version of the SQL native client it will upgrade that component in the full SQL install as well. It should create a separate instance and both will run with the newer version. There should not be an issue with running both, but you probably should create a backup or snapshot of the system before so that you can rollback if there are issues with it afterwards.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a09ae853-d981-49fa-9837-18e28ac313b3/new-dell-server-with-openmanage-essentials-adds-sql-server-2012-native-client-to-existing-sql-server?forum=smallbusinessserver

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

November 18th, 2014 14:00

Sure ok.  Feel free to create a new thread on the unknown health icon question you have.  That's a different issue :)

Rob

No Events found!