Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

April 2nd, 2013 03:00

Restart OMSA 7.2 on esxi 5.1

Hello.

I have tried to look in the forum but could not find any answer.

If i ONLY want to restart the OM services what cmd should i use?

Before the cmd srvadmin-services.sh start  worked but not in esxi 5.1 ?

9 Posts

April 2nd, 2013 20:00

I will assume you mean OMSA and not OME. The below commands will do the trick. Both are important  

# /usr/lib/ext/dell/srvadmin/bin/dataeng restart

# /etc/init.d/wsman restart

There is a bug in ESXi 5.1 that renders OMSA unuable after a few days. Here is a work-around until vmware fixes this.

en.community.dell.com/.../19499985.aspx

52 Posts

April 3rd, 2013 01:00

Thansk for the respons yes your correct omsa edit the post now. But when i try to go to the /ext/ it does not exist?

After some search i found the dataeng in /opt/dell/srvadmin/bin. But when i try to restart i get this error..

/opt/dell/srvadmin/bin # ./dataeng restart
Stopping Systems Management Data Engine:
Stopping dsm_sa_eventmgrd: Not started      FAILED
Stopping dsm_sa_datamgrd: Not started       FAILED
Starting Systems Management Data Engine:
Starting dsm_sa_datamgrd: ./dataeng: line 1386: /opt/dell/srvadmin/sbin/dsm_sa_d      atamgrd: not found
                                            FAILED
Starting dsm_sa_eventmgrd: ./dataeng: line 1386: /opt/dell/srvadmin/sbin/dsm_sa_      eventmgrd: not found
                                            FAILED

I can restart wsman without any problem though.

2 Posts

May 2nd, 2013 12:00

I'm running into the same issue.  

There's no dsm* files in the /opt/dell/srvadmin/sbin folders.

I find nothing in /etc/init.d to restart the service either.

/usr/lib/ext does not exist on the ESXi server.

52 Posts

July 24th, 2013 06:00

Late answer :) but sometimes it help by restarting the "CIM Server" services on the esxi console. It can be done through the vsphere client | services.

4 Posts

July 24th, 2013 17:00

I have this same problem with OMSA 7.3 on esxi 5.1.  The /opt/dell/srvadmin/bin/dataeng script doesn't restart OMSA.  I don't know if this is by design or not.

September 5th, 2013 13:00

I am having this same problem and our Company uses "Dell Customized VMware ISO Image" for ESXi 5.1.  Why does Dell change all this stuff around every year or so!  I have the Dell 7.1 A01 and 6.5 A02 VIBs running fine on another Companys ESXi hosts and they discover into OME WSMAN just fine.  Why has this changed and why is there no /usr/lib/ext/dell/srvadmin anymore...it's all in /opt/dell now!!! 

Anyway, can someone from Dell please respond to this post.

Thanks,

Gene Lindsay

2 Posts

September 5th, 2013 13:00

I ended up downgrading to OMSA 7.1 - It's been running a few months without issue.

I detailed the steps from working with Dell here:

http://www.erichalv.com/vmware-esxi-and-dell-omsa-7-2-downgrade-to-7-1/

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

September 5th, 2013 15:00

Hi Gene, I hear ya....

I'm not familiar with these OMSA changes.  I wonder if someone in the general sys mgt forum might be able to give you some insight.  Maybe cross post over here...

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/systems-management/f/4469.aspx

Thx!

Rob

September 6th, 2013 07:00

Thanks for the replies.  We trried the 7.1 version also, but I dont know what build(same problem).  I have a 7.1 VIB running all the DSM SNMP stuff, but it may be an older build of 7.1.  This seems to be possibly that Dell changed the OMSA VIB ESXi packages after a certain build also related to Dell customized VMware ISO ESXi 5.1 levels...people are saying these newer version of VIB worked on 5.0 I think.

I will cross post as you suggested.

Also, to be clear the OMSA VIB is indeed an SA to use on a Linux kernel, but its more than that...the SNMP stuff which is what I am needing is also a big part of getting SNMP traps for ESXi.  The Dataeng/DSM processes are that component that allows you to use SNMP with your Dell MIBs.  So, it's not just OMSA (maybe Dell looks at that differently than I do) :emotion-2:

No Events found!