Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 27th, 2012 05:00

Uknonwn device in OME

I have 2 topics with inventory for OME

1) I have Win2008 server with OMSA 6.5 installed, SNMP configured, but still OME can't inventory it properly from OME 1.0

On this OS there is firewall configured and I think this is the issue, but I think I've opened all needed ports.

What is opened:

161, 162 udp from OME, 162 to OME

1311 tcp from OME

Is it all I need (just for discovery and collecting logs/traps).

Now, server is in Unknown tab, it discoveres NIC information and in device summary there is ? in health status, and device type is unclassified.

Server which I want to discover is DELL R610.

I've used also troubleshooting tool, and SNMP/ping/connection to 1311 is OK. rDNS is not OK, but I don't think this is a problem.

Please take a look at va.png (first image, VA machine)

2) For all other R610 devices I have good discovery, but in "Software agent information" section for all servers for "iDRAC" and "Server administrator (storage management)" I have unknown status, and I don't know why.

Please take a look at wa.png (second image, WA machine)

regards,

Mariusz Preiss

January 27th, 2012 06:00

1) it sounds correct,  can you show us a screen shot of the SNMP test results on the troubleshooting tool.  (it sounds like snmp isn't functioning properly on the target)

2) The iDRAC is unknown because you must setup snmp on the iDRAC itself to get the agent info from the iDRAC.  

The Storage Management is probably unknown because of the outdated open manage installed on the target(5.5)

2.8K Posts

January 27th, 2012 07:00

Review the details in the First Time Setup tutorial that show the settings on the managed node that enable SNMP.  I know you said you have this setup, but it is worth a close review.  And remember, as the FAQ mentions, the SNMP community string is *case sensitive*.

Once that TS tool shows the OMSA version, things should work ok.

Thanks!

Rob

2.8K Posts

Sure, no worries...

Managing servers seems to have gotten much more complicated with Win2008 :-)

The first time tutorial pops up the first time you install and run the console.  You can also go back and review it by navigating to the Tutorial menu at the top of the OME console.

It has some useful screenshots on how to setup SNMP on your managed node.

Good luck!

Rob

5 Posts

1) To both of you :-)

Where is this "first time" tutorial?

I'm using DELL for a long time and I don't have problems with tens of other servers, just this one :-)

But this one was "hardened" somehow, and this might be the issue... anyway, I'd like to monitor it.

The OM installed on VA is the newest one (6.5)

2) For VA - DRAC is already discovered properly.

For discovery I'm entering DRAC ip and server IP - is it OK?

5 Posts

1) OK, so screenshot for SNMP for problem - there is no OMSA section, but why? OMSA is installed

and I can login directly to 1311

2) but SNMP is configured on DRAC. TRAPs are also configured

When I go with snmpwalk on this DRAC, I receive answer, so it is working somehow

1) older versions of open manage wouldn't put their hooks into snmp if snmp was added after open manage was installed.  you should be able to upgrade or reinstall open mange to correct this issue.  

2) be sure to run a discovery on the ip of the drac.(those settings look correct outside from a possible community name mismatch)

2.8K Posts

Yeah, like Victor said, what does your SNMP test result look like?  It *must* show the OMSA version in the results to get classified ok.

Other notes from my pre-canned reply :)

Rob

--

A couple of things to remember if you are troubleshooting discovery and inventory in OME.

1. Check the Discovery Section of the FAQ.  Especially item #3.4.
  2. Try the Dell TroubleShooting Tool that is installed along with OME on your desktop.  When you are using SNMP, a successful test should return the version of OMSA in the result table.  If you do not see this, then you need to review the configuration on the managed node (target machine).
  3. There are some additional details that may help for setting up OMSA on Linux.
  4. There are some additional details that may help for setting up ESX/ESXi for discovery.
  5. The Discovery/Inventory whitepaper has lots of helpful information.
No Events found!