Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

2 Intern

• 

743 Posts

January 26th, 2016 18:00

Updating OMSA via OME

Hi,

I'm sure this has been covered b4, but can someone pls point out where detailed instructions are on how to update OMSA via OME (for Windows)?

What file is needed for OME to use (i.e. Installer path)

What install arguments are commonly used?

Thx,

John Bradshaw

January 26th, 2016 21:00

Hi John,

OMSA can be updated/installed using the following under Manage->Remote Tasks section:
"Create Deployment Task" (selecting Server Administrator checkbox).

The details are present in this whitepaper:
http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/extras/m/white_papers/20069180 

Let us know if this helps.

Thanks,
Vijay

2 Intern

• 

743 Posts

January 27th, 2016 13:00

Thx very much.

1. Couple of questions what is Web Server and Server Instrumentation in respect of OMSA? I cannot see these defined in the whitepaper and am not sure how they are being used with respect to OMSA.

2. I have a couple of hundred windows servers with levels of OMSA all over the place. Do I need to un-install first, or will 8.2 just overwrite whatever is there?

Thx,

John Bradshaw

1 Rookie

• 

88 Posts

January 29th, 2016 00:00

Server Instrumentation is the core part of OMSA and is needed to monitor and manage the system. The services what will installed with this component are the agent for OME too.

The webserver installs an Apache Tomcat and Java on your system. This gives you a web based GUI to manage the Hardware. If you open port 1311 on the server you can open this GUI remote.

Unfortunately the Tomcat can make trouble with other applications what use Tomcat (McAfee ePO server b.e. in our case) and the Java version is ever older than the latest. It can be that you don't want have this on a server (on a DC b.e.).

The web server is not needed as agent for OME but you need sooner or later the GUI (or you are a big friend of command line tools. I'm not.).

In this case you can install OMSA without web server an use ws-man to manage OMSA and install the web server on a remote system (your workstation b.e.). But the configuration is not trivial. Read the manual for this. But I use this on the half of our machines. It function very fine.

You can overwrite the existing version with update.

Greetings Barbara

2 Intern

• 

743 Posts

January 31st, 2016 15:00

Thankyou Barbara!

So to Install the latest version of OMSA over any/all of my current OMSA installs (various versions) I would point to the exe for the Installer Path and the Install Argument would be ADDLOCAL=SA,IWS

Is that correct?

JB

1 Rookie

• 

88 Posts

January 31st, 2016 23:00

Hi Bradje,

you must point the installer path to the .msi-file. The .exe will not function. This is my experience.

ADDLOCAL=SA,IWS means a default installation. In this case you can leave the arguments field empty.

Greetings Barbara

336 Posts

February 3rd, 2016 07:00

I will add that if you have old x86 versions of OMSA installed and you're trying to install the new x64 version, it won't work. You need to run the OME remote task to remove OMSA first, then the new one will install.

2 Intern

• 

743 Posts

February 3rd, 2016 15:00

Thx very much mate

JB

2 Intern

• 

743 Posts

February 3rd, 2016 15:00

Thx Barbara

JB