Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 18th, 2023 02:00

DRM and SMB

Hello Community ,

i am new to RDM so my question might be straight forward.

i installed the newest version of DRM :3.4.3 and i have created a customized catalog for our servers..

i have exported the catalog to a local disk and enabled the destination folder to be an SMB share , however when i go to the update page in one of the idrac's in our environment . selecting Location update to be Network Share and then in the protocol drop  down menu i can only see CIFS and NFS .

its idrac9 so as per the documentation it supports SMBV2/3 . any idea how that works.

also if i want to use idracadm command tool to update a patch of servers using a script , what would be the syntax of the command to use SMB 

remmina_MGMTRDG.CLOUDISP.COM_MGMTRDG.CLOUDISP.COM_2023118-10734,404269.png

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

January 18th, 2023 03:00

You need to use CIFS option for SMB share. For Racadm you need to use update command to update the FW from repository. You can refer below link with details

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/en-us/idrac9-lifecycle-controller-v6.x-series/idrac9_6.xx_racadm_pub/update?guid=guid-4bf8c7bd-3d8e-451f-8913-29433dd646cd&lang=en-us

6 Posts

January 18th, 2023 03:00

Thanks so much for the reply. can you also point me about which network port need to be opened between my DRM windows machine and the idrac management vlan . i will test that right away

6 Posts

February 13th, 2023 03:00

hey Shine , your answer worked , thanks.. we have around 8 machines ( non production ) which still use idrac8 . all R630 . is it supported to use SMB or CIFS with them . or only supports FTP ? the documentation suggests it works but when i try :

i tried the same command but i get a failed ( Repository Update) Job . 

the idrac version is  2.83.83.83

1 Message

May 4th, 2023 10:00

This is a very poor response and it seriously shocks me. Why is CIFS still in use? It is a major vulnerability and exploit because it does not encrypt the password. Any organization, with any sense of security, blocks CIFS because its as bad or worse than SMBv1. Therefore, CIFS is not a valid option in any well run organization. Dell should have had it removed as an option long ago. It should removed and replaced with SMBv2/3 immediately. Nobody should be using CIFS.

No Events found!