Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

January 6th, 2015 12:00

Exporting SUU to ISO - ISO doesn't work

Hi,

I have the latest Repository Manager 2.0.0.187 with x86 plugin 743 and x64 plugin 730 but when I export a Linux or Windows R810 bundle to SUU as ISO, the ISO doesn't work. I'm testing it using 1) my VMWare virtual machine (i.e. launch the VM directly from the ISO) and 2) my Dell Optiplex 9010 desktop. In either case the system doesn't find an operating system to boot to.

On the other hand, I can boot to a Linux bootable ISO generated from Repository Manager just fine in my VM, which would indicate some issue with the SUU ISO. Similarly I can boot my VM to a Fedora Live ISO with no problems.

I'm trying to update a Dell PowerEdge R810 running 64-bit RHEL 5.11. Do I use the Windows 32-bit SUU or the Linux SUU (32 or 64-bit)?

336 Posts

January 6th, 2015 14:00

So are you saying that the ISO has to be run from within the OS? Can I run it from a live Linux distro?

January 6th, 2015 14:00

brastedd,

The SUU ISO generated is NOT a bootable ISO. You will need to use it on a Windows or Linux box based on the plug-in that was chosen.

The Linux bootable ISO is a different media that can boot. Hence the name "bootable".

Hope this clarifies.

- Kumaran

January 7th, 2015 07:00

Yes, you are right. 

For supported OS list, please refer to the latest Dell SUU release details here:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=RTDW0

- Kumaran

39 Posts

January 8th, 2015 05:00

Kumaran, thank you for your answer.

I think a number of us are looking for the latest full "SBUU'" - the bootable "System Build & Update Utility." I know it is being replace by Lifecycle controller and so forth, but many of us still have older legacy hardware (and software) that is being supported. The only article I've found so far points to an SBUU link that is broken. Can you please give us links to the last known good SBUU downloads?

January 8th, 2015 07:00

JM99,

Please check the following link to download the latest SBUU v2.4 release:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=YH0GX

39 Posts

January 8th, 2015 10:00

Kumaran, thank you! That is exactly what I needed.

No Events found!