Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 13th, 2009 13:00

1.5 tb drive appearing as 700 gb

I recently installed a 1.5 tb Seagate HD in my old Dell Dimension 4700 for use as media server. I installed the software that came with the drive and my computer can see the drive but it only appears as having a capacity of 700 gb. I know the drive won't read as having the full 1.5 tb, but I expected it would be higher than 700 gb. I downloaded the most current bios for my service tag and flashed the bios without any change.

6 Posts

October 23rd, 2009 06:00

Hi,

Were you able to resolve this issue?  I am having a similar issue with my desktop. I have a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop with Asus M2N61-AX motherboard. I bought and installed a 1.5TB Seagate SATA hard drive. The drive would not allow access on the last partition on Windows Vista which is beyond 1TB. The Sata controller is part of the nVidia nForce4 set. I tried the latest drivers posted on Dell but they failed to fix the problem.

Inspiron 531
AMD Athlon 64X2 For Desktops, 5000+, 2.6, 1MB, 2C 65W, G2
ASUS M2N61-AX
BIOS 1.0.13

Please let me know if anyone ran into similar problem.

Oace

1 Message

February 18th, 2010 10:00

I have this same problem.  I have inspiron 531 with 5000+ AMD cpu.  4 GB RAM, 1.0.13 bios.  I tried to format the entire disk, it stalled at 74% = 1.0 TB.

So, I tried partitions.  Mostly by random choice, I have main partition at 796 GB, which formated OK.  Second partition is 195 GB, which also formatted OK.  The remaining 450 GB will only format up to 7% before it stalls.  

I decided to just disable this last bit of space (almost 500 GB!) and just call this a 1 TB drive.  But, my backup SW - Acronis True Image - won't work with a disk that has space it can't read and write to.  

I've installed window Visto home premium OK in the main partition, everything runs fine except for backup.

Any ideas on how to enable the rest of this disk?

6 Posts

February 18th, 2010 10:00

I was able to resolve the issue and use entire 1.5 TB after updating the nVidia driver.  You can contact nVidia Support or visit the following link where I updated my drivers - This link would help only if you have the same motherboard or chipset and require nForce driver.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_vista_win7_32bit_15.49.html

Good luck

Oace

No Events found!