Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 8th, 2008 11:00

1 TB. notebook hard drive

i have to unplug my TB. notebook at times to get it to work.

after i plug it in the drive seem to work fine but after a short time the drive just stops working, the lights are on and the computer don't see the drive at all.

what do I need to do to fix this problem?

any body...

I have the xps 410 system duel core 2.14 ghz, running windows xp media. OS and have 4 GB of added memery but the system only reports 2.5 gb. of memery.  Thats another problem i want to fix at a later time...

I have two flat screen and  let see... what else do i need to say...

I have another notebook drive also and it's running fine, in fact I'm transfering all data from my 1 TB. to my 750 gb.

then i plan to reformat the 1 TB to see if that will fix it.

Message Edited by farmboy_45 on 10-08-2008 08:00 AM

9.3K Posts

October 8th, 2008 13:00

You may want to post this in the correct section. You seem to have an XPS Desktop, not a Poweredge server.

14.4K Posts

October 8th, 2008 14:00

@Dev Mgr wrote:
You may want to post this in the correct section. You seem to have an XPS Desktop, not a Poweredge server.

??? This is the XPS desktop...

The ram you can forget on trying to fix it. The only way would be to switch to a 64 bit OS this has been hashed over many manly times. A 32 bit OS is limited to only 4 gigs and out of that the  system will reserve ram for the Video card up to the amount of ram on the card then the rest of the cards and other system resources. The end result is that on a 32 bit OS the amount of available ram from 4 gig will be in the range of 2.5 to 3.5 gigs. Again this is dependent upon system configuration.

AS to the HD how are you connecting to the system? By usb or esata

9.3K Posts

October 8th, 2008 15:00

This post originally was located in the Poweredge General HW section. It seems Dennis S moved it here.

14.4K Posts

October 8th, 2008 16:00

Roger that....:smileywink:

940 Posts

October 8th, 2008 19:00

Some of the external Hard Drives will put themselfs to sleep after a period of time. For example the Seagate FreeStyle drives have a utility that you can run to change this behavior.

What brand of external Hard Drive are you using?

No Events found!