Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 8th, 2008 14:00

19 in 1 media card reader

I just got a new XPS 420 with Vista and the media card reader does not work right. It only shows up in the computer window sometimes, if I restart sometimes it will recognize the drives and show them in the computer window. It will read a SD card sometimes but will not read CF cards at all the light comes on in the front and stays solid when I put a CF card in. I checked the connections, deleted the drives in the device manager and let windows reinstall the reader and it still doesn't work. I couldn't find any updated drivers on the dell site. I even tried a new CF card and that doesn't work. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

416 Posts

October 7th, 2008 16:00

I guess you did not understand, the internal card readers do not work period! Dell sent me a blanking piece to replace the reader and a used monitor for all the trouble that I had (so I have the same blank here). I suspect that Dell is no longer even offering the internal card readers period with the system that I ordered.

So consider yourself very lucky as if you did order the reader all you would of done would be on the phone with weeks or months trying to make it work. They even sent a few techs out here and they had the same problem. As one of the upperl level techs told me its just a bad design.

@phillman1961 wrote:
Dude your lucky to even have one i thought they come with the system but when i got my system last week it did,nt have one so when i called dell they told me i cant get one now there only come with the systems when ordered and i know that a regular one want fit because its in a 5.25'' bay and theres a big gap there if i try a regular 3.5'' and who wants to loog at gaps on a new system

416 Posts

October 7th, 2008 16:00

Hmm,

When I delt with the XPS techs they were all either in OK or Canada and all english was probably better then myself. That was back around Xmas time.

@phillman1961 wrote:
What really burns my hide is the fact you can never get a person that speaks english. If you did maybe we would,nt have to be on the phone all day huh. i am having all kinda trouble from dell guess its lawyer time huh

12 Posts

February 9th, 2009 20:00

I just bought a studio D540S with 19-1 carder reader and an external DVD burner.  Well I didn't get the external DVD burner.  I called and they send me a refurbished one without cable or power adapter or software.  I spent one week trying to get something.  All I got that the external doesn't come with cable or power adapters.

2. NOw the 19-1 carder reader is malfunctioning.  If I insert a Compact Flash card I get a error that the card reader is unknown or something to that affect.  I look for the card reader on My computer and all the drives are gone.  CF drive F, SC drive G, etc.

It takes several restarts and turn off to get them back.  I have not call DELL, but I am.  I am very unsatified with their service.  And If I had read all this problems DELL is having I would have not bought a computer from them.  The Techs don't know from a hole in the ground.   I hope I can get my card readers fixed.

213 Posts

March 15th, 2009 11:00

Count me in - how do I get in touch with you.

6 Posts

March 15th, 2009 23:00

Re: 19 in 1 media card reader
By B.W.S. in General Hardware

19 in 1 media card reader~

Dear fellow forum participants. I would like to offer my heartfelt apologies for violating “robots rules of order” during my previous post (posts), which were removed by some kind soul (souls) by the name of TOS10 and subsequently by TOS12, at Dell. Apparently, I ticked someone off because I used words (non-vulgar or offensive) and or abbreviation that “violates the Dell Community Terms of Service”; specifically, a mention of potential (Prohibited words and phrases include those in which certain letters have been replaced with alternate characters) action against Dell and the use of the word (Prohibited words and phrases include those in which certain letters have been replaced with alternate characters). Again, my “sincere” apologies... I’ve continued to remove any potentially sensitive references from the original post and am reposting the balance of it as originally submitted (in hopes that said individuals have something better to do than continue to delete my postings). I would still welcome hearing from any and all who have experienced like unresolved issues via whatever means are considered acceptable in this forum. I encourage participants to review the Terms of Service prior to responding to ensure compliance with Dell to the letter. They can be reviewed via the following link:

http://en.community.dell.com/content/TOS.aspx.

Following please note the original post, which has been sanitized for Dells "protection" as per their warning (which I am prohibited from publishing per the terms stated in their email, received this afternoon subsequent to their notice of posting deletion)…

I ordered an Inspiron 530 / Win XP Pro on May 12, 2008. The construction company that I own employs an advanced building design program (CAD) and also utilizes digital imaging in the form of a Canon digital SLR coupled with Adobe Photoshop. Both programs are memory hogs and the component build specifications were designed around this. Simply, we ordered this new system from Dell to perform as a fast and reliable tool, not a toy.

Prior to purchasing the Dell, we were using a Compaq system with an external media card reader. The reader worked without fail, but being a USB1 connection, transfer rates could have been faster. The opportunity to incorporate a USB2 reader into the tower was a great idea, speeding up file transfers while freeing up some desk space and eliminating one more cable. Option 341-557 was added to the list of components specified in the build.

The system arrived, was put online and all appeared well after some initial issues were worked out with Dell. That was until the card reader failed. We are all familiar with the problems as they appear universal. First an error message reading “USB device has malfunctioned…”appears onscreen when a media card is inserted. A check of “My Computer” reveals that the reader has disappeared from the recognized hardware. A simple system restart fails to bring the drive back up. A full shut down and full restart will occasionally bring it back up. Next comes the ongoing interaction with Dell technical support with possible fixes ranging from unplugging the media reader cable, to flashing the BIOS, to downloading additional drivers. Over, and over, and over… Next comes the replacement of the reader, then the cable, then the cable and reader, followed by the cable, reader and motherboard accompanied by a myriad of other failed software “fixes”. None of which work~

On March 10, 2009 the latest replacement parts arrived from Dell. A technician called and was scheduled to make the change-out on 3/12/09. The following is a narrative of the service call that was sent to Dell;

“Technician arrived around 9:40 AM. Disassembled the "box". Removed and replaced, card reader, reader cable and motherboard. Rebooted computer. Ran several tests - Card reader appeared functional and operating to designed intent. Finished service call at approximately 10AM. Polite and professional.

12:30 PM card reader failed. USB device not recognized. Tried to reboot -black screen. Removed CF card, rebooted. Reinserted card. Reader crashed.”

Dell responded in part: “Please do not worry we will get this issue resolved to your satisfaction.”

To which I responded: “All fine and well to promise that "we will get this issue resolved to your satisfaction". What makes you think that the upcoming attempt to fix this problem will be resolved any differently than the myriad of failed attempts that have occurred since May of 2008. I want the computer replaced - NOW.”

Dell responded with:

"We apologize for the inconvenience caused. We understand from your mail that you want to return this system. We would like to inform you that he system can be returned only within first 21 days from the invoice date."

Based on the research that we’ve done, this is an ongoing issue that Dell is either unable, or unwilling, to address and effectively fix. The service that we have personally experienced has been wholly unsatisfactory, as is Dells outsourced technical support.

If you too, have experienced like issues and have exhausted every reasonable avenue to obtain satisfaction, I’d welcome hearing via whatever format that Dell has deemed acceptable... Perhaps we can pool our knowledge and eventually obtain a successful resolution to a rampant problem that Dell continually tries to dodge.

And again, Mr. or Mrs. TOS10 and Mr. or Mrs. TOS12; I am soooooooooooooooo sorry…

July 25th, 2009 21:00

I put up a post today It got deleted today  by TOS12. I brought up the issues with the xpsm1710 and how I payed $3000 for the worst laptop i have ever owned. the nvidia graphics card keeps failing on these systems cuz they burn up during idle. Nvidia apologized about the issue but dell does not care. I call them and ask them if they knew about the failure on the m1710 and they act like they never heard of it, yet theres countless post around the internet about the issue and also with the custormer dealing with dell on the phone and never getting anything out of it. All they worry about is the warranty cash I have to put up to fix this overly expensive system every year instead of fixing the issue. I stated that it looks like I have been had and  I guess they did not like that. My old post had no curse words or anything of that sort whatsoever, yet they put a harrasing label on it. wow, what a shady company...

12 Posts

July 26th, 2009 08:00

I have gone through What you have been through with DELL.   I finally bought a new card reader at Best Buy removed Dell's carder reader and I have not had any problems. 

I really feel for you because I went through what you went through for months.  I finally told them not to call me anymore because "They would promise me if I would give them a chance they would fix my computer.  The Techs did the same things that the last one did without fixing my problems.  DELL is going down the Tubes out scouring their customer service reps to India.  They need to bring all the services back to the good ole USA. 

12 Posts

July 26th, 2009 08:00

I don't know how DELL stays in business.  I had an issue with the 19-1.  I finally boought a new 19-1 card reader at Best Buy remove Dell's card reader and i have not had any problem with the new one.  DELL didn't send me my External burner That I paid for.  I finally got one but it was Refurbish.  Would you believe that.  I wish we could do something about this type of business.  I will never buy another DELL product as long as I live. 

2.2K Posts

July 26th, 2009 16:00

The first amendment is not relevent to a private web site.

12 Posts

One of my post was also deleted because I was exercising my 1st amenment Freedom Of Speech.  I didn't say anything that was not true about the unprossfessional service have given me.    But I guess whomever edit our posts are not from America.  So they think they can edit any work that they believe is out of the ordinary.

I truely believe that the service that Dell is providing is not good service.  If what I am saying is worth deleteing because I am expressing my right to say, then we need to move the admistration back to the United States.

I hope that this post will not be edited because it's all true.

Dan

12 Posts

BWS,

I posted a reply to your post but mine was deleted too.  I do not know why since I was excercising my first amenment right.  All I did was agree with your post.  I had the same problem and up to now my problem was never fixed by any DELL TECHNICIAN.  Mine, there try for months with no results.  But I did finally buy a new Card Reader I believe its a 21-1 from Best Buy and I fixed my own problem.  DELL service it not up to speed.  I will not apolize for what I said before.  If you are still having problem with your 19-1 card reader.  I recommend that you go and buy an internal 21-1 card reader from Best Buy and remove the 19-1 card reader that came with your computer. In stall the new one and your computer will work.  Now that's 5 dollars for my service.  Tks

Dan

No Events found!