Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 2nd, 2014 20:00

2305 Inspiron One Video Card Update/Driver

I just updated the video driver for my 2305 from Dell's website for a AMD ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470. My screen now has a black border all around and does not use the full monitor area. I have seen online to adjust scaling or something like that through the Catalyst but the recent and updated software from AMD does not have an option to adjust this. Anyone have ideas on a fix for this? Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 3rd, 2014 06:00

Hi G_sample74,

Try getting the latest driver from AMD that includes the Catalyst Control Center, then you should be able to adjust the scaling.

4 Posts

August 3rd, 2014 09:00

Hi, and thanks for responding! I did update the driver from AMD. My catalyst control was not opening before so I removed it and installed the new one (although I can't find anywhere to verify the version) but it supposedly is the 14.4 update. There are no options for scaling that I can find on it. In fact it is pretty simplistic with only options to change CPU speed and adjust power settings. I only did these updates to try and play a game which I'm sure will still not be enough to play it but the black box is a result of these updates and it's a bit annoying. I was able to make it go away by lowering the screen resolution but everything looked blurry after I did that. With all the attempts I made at updating the driver so the catalyst would open (thinking that is why the game was not starting up), I noticed that this black box only appeared after I updated the driver for the PC through the Windows optional updates (if I am being clear on that). Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 3rd, 2014 17:00

Try the procedure described here.

I don't have an AMD card but wrote these instructions hoping they would help someone.

4 Posts

August 3rd, 2014 20:00

Thanks for the link. The catalyst I have does not have those options. The tabs available are: Pinned, Presets, Performance, and Power. I tried to attach a couple of screen shots but they won't load. The latest driver from AMD (14.4) will not install. It downloads and goes through the motions of installing but a driver from 2011 is what shows (which is what put the black border around my screen)... before that one was put on through windows update, my screen was fine. Something else must be messed up that is not allowing the latest driver to install.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 4th, 2014 17:00

When you open the CCC, do you see an icon of your monitor? That's where scaling is adjusted.

4 Posts

August 4th, 2014 19:00

I tried using Chrome for this post and it says my image uploaded ok, but if you can't see it, the only tab that shows a monitor is listed as HydraVision but I looked in each option under that tab and there is no scaling. When I open CCC, a message saying the video driver is not functioning and is being "unloaded" or something like that. After some searching today I am wondering if the driver that downloaded through the Windows update is not too specific for my particular setup. There are drivers listed if I try to pick my own (4 that specifically say Radeon 5470 and the most recent one says Radeon 5000 series). It is the last one that switched my screen to the black box situation. I guess my video card is like those for a laptop? I went back to AMD's website to download the driver for that "type" of video card but that one did not install successfully either. I have sent them a ticket request but not sure how long they will take to respond. I guess I could revert to my old driver and see if the scaling option is in the CCC (if it will open) but never needed to worry about it as my monitor was used entirely with that one. 

1 Attachment

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 8th, 2014 06:00

I would search AMD support for help.

No Events found!