Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 1st, 2014 20:00

2nd HDD cables

HI there again folks. My rebuild is going well. Its up and running on the ssd drive. I have a 2nd HDD mounted that I can now hook up for data retention.

Is there only one cable going to the 2nd drive?? The 2nd available cable is a rectangular 6 pin connector(B&W wires) and the drive has no matching receptacle. I assume its the power cable. I bought the 2nd drive from Dell. Should I have ordered an adapter to fit the drive as well? What am I looking for??

Thanks!!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 1st, 2014 22:00

JJSooner1

The WD5003ABYXHD requires both a SATA data cable and a SATA power connector, the XPS 410 default power supply has a spare SATA power connector for a second hard drive.

You will need to buy a SATA data cable, probably a 24" x 90* [right angle] x 180* straight SATA data cable, similar to the cable shown here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812816303

This is connected to an open SATA connector on the motherboard,

Note: SATA-0 should have primary 'Master' C/: drive already connected to it.

After the drive is installed, enter the system setup [BIOS] and check that the SATA port drive is set "Auto" [on] and the drive is recognized.

For windows to recognize it, you will need to partition, format the drive and assign it a drive letter using Windows Disk Management.

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dimension_desktops/dimension-9200_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 1st, 2014 21:00

HI there again folks. My rebuild is going well. Its up and running on the ssd drive. I have a 2nd HDD mounted that I can now hook up for data retention.

Is there only one cable going to the 2nd drive?? The 2nd available cable is a rectangular 6 pin connector(B&W wires) and the drive has no matching receptacle. I assume its the power cable. I bought the 2nd drive from Dell. Should I have ordered an adapter to fit the drive as well? What am I looking for??

Thanks!!

JJSooner1

Please post the computer model?

What is the make and model of the hard drive, are you trying to connecy?

Bev.

95 Posts

June 1st, 2014 21:00

HI there Bev and thank you. It is an XPS410. The primary drive is an ssd for the OS. The 2d drive is a WD 500gb HDD I bought from Dell. This is the drive I am trying to connect. I read the Dell instructions and the install went smooth until I tried to plug in the wire harnesses. 1 harness fits well the other harness has Black and White wires and a rectangular 6 pin plug for which there is no matching receptacle on the drive. The model # is WD5003ABYX.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 2nd, 2014 07:00

JJSooner1

You are welcome and I'm happy to have helped.

Bev.

95 Posts

June 2nd, 2014 07:00

Once again Bev, you have helped me solve this issue! Cable is on order. I anticipate no issues installing it on receipt. Thank you so very much. I cannot tell you how much I've learned and how  this Community has helped me. Thanks again!!

No Events found!