Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 1st, 2013 21:00

2nd hard drive not recognizing RAM

So I recently bought a new hard drive for my Dell Dimension 4700 because its old default one was over capacity. Reformatted it with Windows XP 2nd Service Pack as I had bought it refurbished. Now I am a producer, and my main use for this computer (with which the internet connection as completely fired from a virus, though everything else worked fine) was to use Pro Tools--and may I add, the cheapest form of it, SE, or Session--which required 1GB of RAM. I bought a 1GB stick to add to my two sticks of 256MB each when i first got the program. Well, now, the drive is out of space and I intend on using this new one for all my future projects now for however long it'll last me. My problem is that when I insert the install Pro Tools CD, Install Shield loads it then tells me Pro Tools needs 1GB of RAM.

O.o

I have my sheet off and I can see in the computer that the RAM sticks are all in there, and even the BIOS setup menu recognizes all the sticks and which port they're in. I've tried every possible combination of turning the computer off, taking out  the stick, turning it back on, loading the CD, have it give me the alert, turn it off, put the stick back in, etc., etc., but my drive still won't read the RAM.

My question now is: WHY?

Is it because that RAM is dedicated to the first hard drive? If so, how do I redirect it to the other one or set this second one as a primary if it's reading it as a secondary? Do I need to buy a new fresh stick to designate to the new drive?

please, HELP

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

October 1st, 2013 23:00

Is it because that RAM is dedicated to the first hard drive? If so, how do I redirect it to the other one or set this second one as a primary if it's reading it as a secondary? Do I need to buy a new fresh stick to designate to the new drive?

If your memory is installed properly and recognized, it isn't dedicated to anything but Windows. If the BIOS is recognizing it, both are true.

Which version of Pro Tools are you using? Their site states that the latest version requires Windows 7 64-bit.

October 2nd, 2013 00:00

Hi Modern Machinist,

I will suggest you to run Windows Update to install the latest Service Pack updates for your operating system, and then install Pro Tools.

If you still face issues while installing the Pro Tools, you may try to increase the virtual memory.

For steps on how to change the virtual memory, refer to the link http://dell.to/1hjTYQD.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to reply for any further assistance.

October 3rd, 2013 23:00

I've tried before to up the virtual memory, did it as far as 4000MB, but still nada. I'll look into Windows Update.

October 3rd, 2013 23:00

Pro Tools SE. They're most likely referring to Pro Tools 10, because they don't service SE.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

October 4th, 2013 16:00

I've tried before to up the virtual memory, did it as far as 4000MB, but still nada. I'll look into Windows Update.

As you performed a manual install of the operating System I advise you to look at Windows Reinstallation Guide/A Clean Install of Windows XP:

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/ 

Windows XP is much prone to Viruses/Malware than Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 and the situation will likely be worse with out of date versions of Windows XP such as XP Service Pack 2 (2004) which misses alot of the security hotfixes. You should have at least the 3rd service pack (2008) and the subsequent Windows Updates.

Note however that Windows XP is reaching its End of Life soon for more details see Windows XP SP3 and Office 2003 Support Ends April 8, 2014 on this date there will be no more updates for Windows XP and it will be more vulnerable. You can use Windows XP and your system after this date of course but just be cautious especially on the internet.

You can probably install Windows 7 32 bit on this machine however to be honest the cost of the Windows license vs the price/performance of a desktop such as the Inspiron 660 with Windows 8.1 should be considered before buying anything.

No Events found!