Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 19th, 2014 03:00

3 Monitors on 7010, SFF, in WinXp (...!!)

Hi,

As the title states, I'm looking to run 3 monitors in an Optiplex 7010 Small form Factor, in Windows XP (I know, I know... You're preaching to the choir - I'd love to bring this into the current century but I'm told it's not an option).

Dell sales team aren't being especially helpful, and since the customisation options have been removed from the sales site I can't check myself...

Help me!?

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 19th, 2014 13:00

I'd love to bring this into the current century but I'm told it's not an options

Not sure why you're saying that. Dell offers drivers for the 7010 from XP through Win 8.1-64 bit,  so why can't you update the OS? Have you run either the Win 7 or Win 8 upgrade advisor, free from Microsoft? Google for them.

Do you have an add-in video card? The SFF (but not the USFF) will take a low profile PCI-e x16 video card.

You can probably run 2 monitors off the video card. On some Dell PCs, you can still use the onboard video VGA port too, so that might give you 3, but I don't know specifically about this system. And if you can't use onboard VGA and an add-in card, maybe you can find a video card that handles 3 at once.

And there's always a USB>DVI or USB>HDMI adaptor, though they're not cheap, for a third monitor...

3 Posts

June 2nd, 2014 07:00

As an update;

The Optiplex 7010 Small Form Factor is fine running Windows XP (as the drivers suggest), and with the video card 'drivers' (ATI Catalyst) provided by Dell and dual AMD/ATI HD 7470 graphics cards, it's able to run up to 4 monitors total (2 on each card, one DVI, one DP).

Hope that helps someone else.

tnd

3 Posts

February 20th, 2014 02:00

Thanks RoHe. I suspected that I could use a low profile card, but couldn't find anything to confirm it either way. I will look into the cards and the USB>HDMI/DVI adaptor.

(And my comment on upgrading from XP not being 'an option' is from my own requirement, not Dell's... ;) )

I'll reply to this thread after I've done some more investigation, but I think you've answered my question, thanks!

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 20th, 2014 11:00

You're welcome.

Keep in mind that Microsoft support for XP ends this April, so you may want to consider updating the OS. Most newer versions of Windows can run XP software in compatibility mode, and Pro or Ultimate versions may allow you to run XP as a virtual machine, so you shouldn't* have problems running older software, if that's what's holding you back.

*CAVEAT: I can't guarantee that all XP software can be run with Win 7, 8, 8.1...

Post back and let us know how you get on with a low profile video card.

2 Posts

April 8th, 2016 14:00

Hi

I recently purchased a Dell Optiplex 7010, and i've been trying to run 3 monitors, i bought two Display Port to VGA adapters, then connected two of the monitors which work perfectly, however, when i connect the third monitor on the VGA slot, one of the monitors shut off. 

I then connected all of them, went into the intel graphics properties, and managed to identify all three, but one of them cant stay on.

Is this caused by the Graphics Card not being able to handle all three monitors or am i missing something?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 8th, 2016 23:00

Which form factor?

Do you have an add-in video card? If you have an add-in video card, the first monitor has to be connected to the add-in card.

If you only have onboard video, then you may be correct that you can't use both DP and VGA at the same time.

What about connecting the 3rd monitor using a USB>VGA adapter?

2 Posts

April 9th, 2016 03:00

Hi

It's the small form factor.

No, it doesn't have an add on card.

I just purchased a USB to VGA, I'll let you know how everything goes.

No Events found!