Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 17th, 2005 00:00

3Dmark05 score

Well I downloaded the new drivers from Nvidia and ran the free version of 3DMark05 and got a score of 3836.
Is this a good score with what I have?

415 Posts

October 22nd, 2005 03:00

as I was saying, you're CPU limited no matter SLI or not, I never said A64 architecture didn't limit it, I explained it better in the other thread.

Either way with SLi enabled you'll have capped FPS at a certain level until games become more demanding, and unless you're running at resolutions higher than 1920x (most games dont support higher than 1600x1200) you'll be capped.

So you may have smooth performance, but in essence I'm right, SLi is limited heavily by the P4 architecture.  And no, a stock 3.6Ghz or 3.8Ghz P4 will not equal a 3700+ or even 3500+ in virtually all games, this is because of the P4s high stage pipeline and lower FPU performance.

And just curious, you're not one of those people who think the 6xx series P4 matched with the identical 5xx series P4 are faster because of the 2mb of L2 cache are you?  You do realize the 6xx series are slower than the 5xx series (ex: 660 is slower than a 560), this is because it has a 17% higher cache latency.

And for a P4 to start even competing with the higher end A64s, it would have to be around say 4Ghz.

149 Posts

October 22nd, 2005 03:00

I have a GEN 5 so SLI is not available to me.

Hijackers

453 Posts

October 22nd, 2005 12:00

In all of the benchmarks I've seen the 6xx series Pentium 4s are as fast or slightly faster at equivalent clock speeds than the 5xx series. Although the 6xx series has 1MB more cache, the latency is a bit higher than the cache on the 5xx series. However, you're wrong when you say the 6xx series P4s are slower when in most cases they are FASTER than the 5xx series, albeit not by much. There are some programs that can take more advantage of the extra 1MB of cache, while with most programs it makes little, if any difference. You need to do some more research on this. I'll refer you to this site: http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/intel_pentium_4_660_3.73ee/ . You'll see that in games the Pentium 4 660 @ 3.6GHz is able to keep up with and even beat a Pentium 4 570 @3.8 GHz in several gaming benchmarks. So the extra 1MB of cache CAN make a difference.

and on this site:

http://www.sharkeyextreme.com/hardware/cpu/article.php/3484631

The extra 2MB of cache helps to improve memory access and decrease cache misses with the longer pipeline of the Prescott. The Pentium 4 660 is also a clear winner over the equivalently clocked Pentium 4 560.

The Pentium 4 still loses out to the Athlon 64 in games, but the P4 660 is able to come fairly close to the Athlon 64 3800+ in many benchmarks. It loses out by 10-20 frames but that is not a big deal when you're talking about the difference between 108 frames and 97 frames.

453 Posts

October 22nd, 2005 14:00

I agree that the main benefit of the 6xx line is the inclusion of 64-bit capability. The extra 1MB cache can make a difference in some situations, but in many others it is not a big deal. You also have other features like Speedstep technology and Execute Disable bit which can help protect against viruses. The 6xx series was Intel's attempt to match the Athlon 64's feature set. However, to say that an equivalently clocked 6xx Pentium 4 is slower than a 5xx Pentium 4 is completely erroneous. There are cases where the Pentium 4 660 can beat a Pentium 4 570 that's 200MHz faster! Take a look at the sites I posted above.

Intel also offers 5x1 CPUs that have 64-bit capability but only 1MB cache. For example, the Pentium 4 571 is the same as the 570 except for 64-bit capability. The only Pentium 4 I considered was the 6xx series. I still like to have the extra cache available. I didn't even consider a Pentium D because it is clocked even lower at 3.2MHz, and multi-threaded games won't arrive for some time yet. It would be even more bottlenecked by SLI.

As for being bottlenecked by SLI, I knew it would happen. But all my games run great. I'm very happy with the P4 660. It may not be as fast as higher clocked Athlon 64s, but it is NO SLOUCH when it comes to games. As I mentioned, even a top-end Athlon FX-57 running at 2.8GHz will be somewhat bottlenecked by two 7800 GTX cards in SLI. We now have video cards that can outpace the fastest CPUs available!

415 Posts

October 22nd, 2005 14:00

My point remains this, the 6xx line has it's benefits, but as of right now there is no real benefit to upgrade from a 5xx series line to 6xx series unless you want 64bit capabilities for XP 64.  Other than that, the negatives still outweigh many positives, and I'm talking about games, indeed 2mb cache can come in handy in some apps that require more cache (3d apps, encoding, business apps) but many games aren't cache hungry so the benefit in games is nill.  Only 2 games I have seen really like the P4's cache, those are the Q3 engine and Doom 3 engine.

349 Posts

October 31st, 2005 16:00

Just curious has anyone looked into the possibility that some of the 24 pipelines in a GTX7800 have been disabled on the Dell cards?  I wondered about this but have no idea how one even knows you have all the pipes enabled?

Phil.
No Events found!