Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

July 5th, 2008 23:00

400 xps upgraded memory now no input signal for monitor

I have an XPS 400, purchased oct. 05 with 2 memory cards, 512mb each, in Dimm1 and Dimm 3.

Today, I installed 2 PNY DDR2-667-533-400 memory sticks in Dimm 2 and Dimm3.

Total memory after installation: 3 gigs.

I reconnected all cables and booted up.

The computer sounded an "alarm" sound: 2 "beeps", pause, 2 "beeps", pause, 2 "beeps".

The monitor powered up, but no image.

I pushed the status buttons on the bottom of the monitor and received a prompt message saying: No Input Signal Detected"---- or words to that effect, or a message that says: "In Power saving Mode. Move mouse or hit any key to activate."

Moving the mouse or hitting any key does nothing.

The computer sounds like it is functioning as normal, except for the alarm beeps at the beginning of the boot.

I removed the PNY sticks and rebooted.

Same problem: 6 alarm sounds and no monitor input.

I've listened closely to the alarm sounds, and they appear to be coming from the usb ports in the back [5 in back...2 in front], but I can't confirm that.

I've double checked and re-checked all my hook-ups.

The monitor cable is correct.

All peripherial cables are in usb ports correctly.

any ideas?

1.2K Posts

July 6th, 2008 01:00

Sounds like the Graphic card may not be seated properly, or if it needs a separate 12 volt connector, is that connected to the card. I would pull the card and reseat it and check all connections inside the case. I know this obvious stuff but it all needs to be checked.

Upon checking the Beep Codes for the 400 what you described means the following

1-3-1 through 2-4-4   --  Memory not being properly identified or used

And the suggested action is to remove and reseat all the memory.

Message Edited by odenwalder on 07-05-2008 09:37 PM
Message Edited by odenwalder on 07-05-2008 09:37 PM

July 6th, 2008 14:00

Thanks for your reply.

I'll try removing ALL the memory and reseating.

Will post my results.

July 7th, 2008 01:00

Here's what I did: I disconnected the computer. I removed ALL memory sticks, old and new. I restarted the computer without the memory sticks installed. I immediately turned the computer off. Disconnected the computer. I installed then new memory sticks into the Dimm slots where the old memory sticks were. Booted up fine, then. No beeps. Monitor works. Everything [so far] seems to be running just great. Apparently, my computer will not allow two different kinds of memory installed....despite what the Geek Squad down at my local Best Buy told me. thanks

29 Posts

October 23rd, 2008 16:00

The new memory needed to go into slot 2 and 4 since your MoBo runs dual channel.

No Events found!