Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 25th, 2006 13:00

5100 5150 9100 9150 Sigmatel STA9220 Microphone Issue Solution

Dell Dimension 5100 5150 E510 5150c XPS200 9100 9150 XPS400 which use 7.1 Integrated Sigmatel STA9220 sound card chipset have a very normal issue. Rear microphone or line in connector doesn't work. After test with my Dim5100, I think I found the reason and some solution. Hope this can help you for same problem.

Sigmatel STA9220 with Dell official driver is designed as auto-detecting device connection for front / back connectors. But for some reason it doesn't work well then we can not record sound from rear mic, CD or cassette through rear "line in" with XP Sound Recorder. But form front connector mabye work fine. Replace Mainboard doesn't work, changed sound card setting no go. I found that can be addressed by follow steps:

1. Uninstall SigmaTel Audio drivers form Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs;

2. Download latest driver A05 and install, disconnect any speaker or mic device when installing.

3. As default, if no sound device plug in, Recording Control Properties should be selected as Line In automatically, don't need change.

4. When plug in microphone to front connector, setting will automatically change to "Microphone".

In this situation, can record voice by Windows Sound Recorder from microphone.

5. If record voice from rear connector, should plug in PINK connectors at back, a box will jump up ask if connect with a speaker or microphone.

Select "my rear microphone" here. Then the Recording Control Properties will automatically change to "Rear Mic".

The reason is the pink connector sharing Micro-phone and Side Surround Channel functions, sound card will detect and ask assign for output or input device.

If there is no pop up window for selection, please check from Control Panel -> Sounds,Speech, and Audio Devices -> SigmaTel Audio, make sure box checked.

Notice: Speaker or headphone should always plug in GREEN connector at back or front headphone connector.

6. If you want to use line in record from CD player or cassette to sound files, you must use a male-to-male cable connect the device to BLUE connector at back to get best quality. If connect to PINK one can create noise. In this case, Recording Control Properties will automatically change to "Line In" again.

7. If sound card driver installed properly and sound card hardware works fine, there is no reason to change setting in Recording Control Properties manually, because all changes will be auto detected by sound card.

Hope this help!

Message Edited by zhang_vincent on 07-25-200609:31 AM

8 Posts

July 28th, 2006 07:00

I just got these great new headphones, EDIMENSIONAL AudioFX Headset with Microphone EDI-100, and my microphone volume is extremely low and basically unreadable. I had my friend try them out on his computer and they worked fine. I am getting no support from the manufacturer, can anyone offer me some troubleshooting advice on fixing this? I have tried recording with windows sound recorder and it works, it's just extremely low volume. Do you think this problem you are describing is relevant to my situation? I have a E510.

July 28th, 2006 09:00

In the below windows,

Click the "Advanced" under "Rear Mic" and "Microphone", select check the "microphone boost" box. This will give more sensitive of your mic. And then use Windows Sound Recorder try again.

Message Edited by zhang_vincent on 07-28-200605:17 AM

8 Posts

July 29th, 2006 06:00

My old headphones would be recognized as it's own recording device in the sounds and audio properties voice tab. I could choose between them, Logitech headset, or my sound card. These new headphones don't seem to be recognized. Now the only choice I have for default device under voice recording is my sound card. Any more advice?

8 Posts

July 29th, 2006 08:00

I'm not sure I understand, does that mean I won't be able to get a decent volume level with my mic?

July 29th, 2006 08:00

That's mean your new headphone is only a sound input terminal, not a Plug&Play device. For record sound, you do not need it be recognized by system.

July 29th, 2006 11:00

The mic's volum depands on the setting of sound card. As the picture I showed you above, make sure the both bar set to top and in "advanced" option check the "boost" box. If still can not satisfied with that, you need a new sound card.

2 Posts

September 3rd, 2006 22:00

I have just got a new Dell 5150 (this week).

I'm very happy with it - fast quiet and cool - except for the low max volume for the microphone issue.

I record wmf clips of me playing poker with voiceover and also use Ventrilo.

Even with record volume settings to mas and mic boost (+20db) on it's far too quiet and has a noticeable hum.

By contrast my Dell 9300 laptop is fine.

I have a brand new noise cancelling logitech headset so it really should work properly.

I am using onboard sound (Sigmatel) and have the same issue whether I use front or rear mic jacks.

It seems that there aren't any drivers out there to fix this yet and Dell are refusing to acknowledge or sort the problem.

The fixes I have seen suggested here are using a USB mic or buying a separate 24 bit soundcard - I can pick up a 24 bit Audigy 1 for $25 and that seems my first stop so far as quick fixes are concerned (though it will use up my only spare PCI slot).

However this issue is pretty annoying as I do use the mic a lot. I will try installing a new card this week and let you guys know how it goes. If anyone has experience of succssfully sorting this issue out please post here.

Thanx

2 Posts

September 3rd, 2006 23:00

OK Guys - even though it appeared to be an older driver than the one I already had installed I downloaded and installed the latest sigmatel driver from this site..

R114282 was the file # and it worked to improve the mic audio signal to acceptable levels ... you still need mic boost on but it's a big improvemnt on how it came out of the box... liveable with now..

:smileyhappy:

14 Posts

November 7th, 2006 19:00

We just go 10 OptiPlex 210L they have the same sound card and we are having the same problem. Is there a real fix to this? Or do we need to RMA the 10 computers?
No Events found!