Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

December 17th, 2009 04:00

530s + Windows 7 + ATI 4650 Low Profile HDMI Boot Problems

I've added a Sapphire ATi Radeon 4650 HDMI card to my system.

Under Windows XP the system boots fine when connected to the HDMI display (a 50" Panasonic Plasma TV). After upgrading to Windows 7 (a complete re-image of the disk, not a simple upgrade), the system will not boot if the HDMI is connected. Again, this exact same setup works fine under XP.

It boots just fine if you don't have the HDMI plugged in, and once booted, plugging in the HDMI selects it as the display and the VGA monitor turns off. I have the latest ATI driver (9.11).

Once successfully booted and the HDMI is plugged in as is well.

I've searched the web and several people with slightly different Dell's suggest downgrading the BIOS which I've unsuccessfully attempted.

I strongly believe this is a BIOS problem because when the HDMI is plugged in nothing is ever displayed via HDMI or VGA monitors. The system is 'on' but only just - just touching the power button (no hold down on the button) shuts the system off immediately.

I'm a bit befuddled on what to try next. FWIW I'm an experienced SW engineer with significant technical background and I can't figure this one out.

BTW, I disabled the on-board audio so that I could get the HD audio working off the ATI card, which solved that problem.

20 Posts

January 9th, 2011 15:00

I have same boot problems with the HDMI plugged in with my 530, Win 7 64bit and ATI HD 2600 XT to a projector.  I believe it to be a BIOS / Video BIOS compatibility issue.  The one time it was stuck, I plugged a regular LCD monitor on the DVI port where the DVI ( HDMI adapter) was plugged in and it had a BIOS boot error about the tick clock not running (brings back the old PC - DOS days).  I have similar issues with my XPS 435MT and an ATI 4550 card combo as well to an LCD TV.  It seems no-one at Dell or ATI have tested real world HTPC setups.  I might have to try a different manufacturers video card (cheaper to test first) to see if I can get something to work right.

The other thing I dislike is that when it is running, the ATI output doesn't use all the pixels.  I get a 1-2" black border around the screen.

And then if I have both the PC monitor and the TV (or projector) connected, Amazon Unboxed won't play anymore.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

January 9th, 2011 18:00

The black border is underscan and you can correct it somewhere in the Catalyst Control Center.

I'm not sure what the problem is, but I don't have any trouble getting my Studio 540s (Sapphire low profile 4650) to connect via HDMI.

20 Posts

January 9th, 2011 20:00

Thanks for the underscan tip.  Why would that be a default!  Its filling the screen now.

It connects, it just can't be there when the computer goes through POST (boot).

2 Posts

April 8th, 2011 00:00

I was having the same problem on my 530 with a 4550 card.

HDMI worked fine after booting but would not boot with it plugged in. No BIOS No Logo, just a lit blank screen.

I did a BIOS downgrade to 1.0.16 <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

and it solved the problem.

just run it in command prompt with /forecebios after it

1 Message

December 6th, 2012 20:00

OMG you are a genius!!!

This worked for me :D

Thank you thank you thank you!!!

September 2nd, 2013 18:00

Dude, I just registered just to tell you that you are indeed a genius!!!!!  I understand that the computer is old and no one would be willing to give support to it other than, buy a new system, but I had the same problem and I was getting hysterical!  Your solution worked like a charm.  Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No Events found!