Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 10th, 2012 17:00

546s - Windows 8 Pro

I have Dell Inspirion 546s and ran "Windows8-ReleasePreview-UpgradeAssistant" found @ http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=242045 It said I needed an app to play DVDs, Firmware was needed for it's security feature, Screen Resolution neededs to be 1366 x 768 to snap apps. Well, I found out the windows 8 would still install anyway. But Dell does not have supported drives for the bios and other for my 546s. When will Dell support 546s models with drives are they developing some now?

My graphics processors is AMD Athlon LE 1660 and my Graphics cards is AMD Radeon 6450. I know nothing about nether still leaning.

Other Drives may be needed is: sound, graphics, bios.  By the way does anyone know if Windows 8 Pro have any these drives avaliable durning installation?

Is anyone else having same issues with other Dell computers?

P.S. I am not really sure.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 10th, 2012 17:00

Try installing windows 7 or windows VISTA drivers 32 bit or 64 bit depending on OS version.

They may require (Run as Administrator and Run in Windows Vista Compatibility mode.

Make sure to install DirectX June 2010 patch

Then install the latest Catalyst Drivers for the Radeon 6450.

DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2010) - Microsoft

www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109
Name File Size Revision Number Release 
Date
Download 
Link
Catalyst Software Suite 143 MB 12.10 10/22/2012 Download
Description:
Package contains the following graphics drivers and dependent/required software for the products specified in the current version's official release notes for the 64 bit version of Windows Vista,  Windows 7 and Windows 8:
                       Display Driver
                       OpenCL(tm) Driver
                       AMD Integrated Driver
                       Catalyst Control Center
Name File Size Revision Number Release 
Date
Download 
Link
Catalyst Software Suite 93.6 MB 12.10 10/22/2012 Download
Description:
Package contains the following graphics drivers and dependent/required software for the products specified in the current version's official release notes for the 32 bit version of Windows Vista,  Windows 7 and Windows 8:
                       Display Driver
                       OpenCL(tm) Driver
                       AMD Integrated Driver
                       Catalyst Control Center

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

November 11th, 2012 14:00

I can confirm that the 6570 installs under Windows 8 (with dual monitors, too).

8 Posts

November 16th, 2012 09:00

I called up microsoft.store.com and found out that Secure Boot is only for Networkers with muiltple computers. And for normal user it does not apply. He also said IE 10 would be on the Windows 8 Pro Upgrade. And that Windows Media Center would not be on it by default, but user can download it for free by going to windows.microsoft.com and look for Features Pack. He also said you won't need touch screen monitor. But in feature os it would be something all users woould have to have. Because that is the direction Microsoft is moving to. Thanks everyone for the correct answers it helped alot. Smiles.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

November 10th, 2012 19:00

The 546s is a relatively recent product; I find it hard to believe that Windows 8 drivers are not available for what you need.

Are there any devices listed in Device Manager lacking drivers?

8 Posts

November 11th, 2012 12:00

I have not installed windows 8 pro on it yet. I want to do some reseach first. But Dell is not supporting some very recent models on driver either. I know this is for user and no customer service agents will ever responed to are messages. But I am making this point for future users with 546s computers aswell. Because this is how I found out the things I know about 546s itself through dell forums. So, anymore posts keep it coming. I am wait to hear when dell will support the vase majority of it's line of computers with windows 8 pro drives.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

I use an Optiplex 960 (about the same age as the 546s) at the office, and didn't bother with the upgrade adviser. Windows 8 installed and all is working correctly.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

Most of the recent Radeons DO NOT INSTALL in windows 8.  The drivers I posted above Apply to WIN8 WIN7 and Vista.

Radeon HD 6XXX 7XXX Etc drivers are not Native to windows 8. Nor are the directx 9, 10, 11 game patches.

8 Posts

November 11th, 2012 13:00

Thanks guy's keep post coming.

8 Posts

November 11th, 2012 13:00

I am trying to install windows 8 pro not windows 8 would that apply to it also?

8 Posts

November 11th, 2012 19:00

"Windows8-ReleasePreview-UpgradeAssistant" found @ go.microsoft.com/fwlink It said my Amd Radeon HD 6450 card, Ati SMBus, AMD High Definition Audio Device, VIA High Definition Audio was compatible.

8 Posts

November 15th, 2012 12:00

I think I will have to use Google Chrome for Browser. Because microsoft is either charging for IE for 8 or they have not develop it for windows 8 yet. When I search for it it takes me to a page to pay for it. I don't see it being for free at this point.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

November 15th, 2012 20:00

If you have a European version of Windows, that's why. In the U.S. and Canada, IE 10 is bundled, but the European Union takes issue with that practice.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

November 16th, 2012 19:00

Good luck!

8 Posts

November 20th, 2012 15:00

I finaly installed win 8 pro it was an success. I bought it from microsoft.store.com @ $69. And it came with 64bit cd and 32bit cd. Both come with custom or upgrade choices. Wow, what an great price for something that can get you ripped off on ebay. I read Microsoft only made these few versions Windows 8, Windows 8 Pro, Window Enterprise due to copy cat versions of windows 7 popin up all over the internet. And sale ends January 2013 which is very soon. I can only use 32bit of color, but with the 64bit version dvd. That is cool cause I was trying to find away to upgrade my bits in color. But I read that it require more than 1280x1024 screen resolution on your monitor to be able to use 64bits of color that's what I have. I did not have to install IE, pdf reader, windows media player, shockwave flash, and a lot more of programs come with the win 8 pro dvds. Because I use to have to upload a lot of the other programs. And it have alot of drives too. Windows Media Player cost now, but if you buy win 8 Pro now you can get free copy key. I am using Dial up all I had to do is install Netzero and connect. No other programs needed. I can't snap apps due to screen resolution. To be correct I am not having to install very many programs for drivers at all. I love it is everything they said it is. I upgraded from Windows XP SP3. But like I said it come with custom or upgrade version if you get it now from Microsoft.store.com. I am having to install Java it does not come with it.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

November 20th, 2012 19:00

Well done!

No Events found!