Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 10th, 2008 15:00

730 owners...how do you like your PC's?

Now that I will be returning my 630i, I was wondering about the 730's. 

I have owned Dell's for over a decade and have had nothing but good luck up to this point.

I don't seem to see as many issues listed on this site and from what I can tell, the PCIe slots are 16x (this was the final reason that made me send the machine back).

I can get one similarly configured to my 630 for about $50 more with the 21% coupon out there. 

So what are peoples thoughts on the 730?

306 Posts

October 11th, 2008 13:00

Sorry for your bad experience with Dell. Out of the thousands they sell, there will be lemons unfortunatly. No matter what brand you buy, even so called ultra reliable Apple, they all have customers who have problems that can't seem to be rectified. I'm not going to get into it, but I've had more than my fair share hardware nightmares with Apple products. It really is the luck of the draw. Luckily you were able to get a full refund. Thats not so bad.

Good luck on whatever you buy.

Glenn

436 Posts

October 11th, 2008 13:00

I had nothing but problems with my XPS 730 that I received and now returned.  Weird lock-up's, fans getting stuck in full blast when powering on, etc.

I re-formatted the HD and installed Vista fresh and not even over-clocking, etc. had weird problems.  Plus the machine noise is pretty loud.

Dell XPS tech support was useless (as they have gotten worse every year)

Not worth the issues, so I returned it for a full refund - including shipping and return shipping.

I am done with Dell.

12 Posts

October 13th, 2008 10:00

I am having my third XPS 730 delivered in the morning, the previous two both had serious problems.  The first continually locked up (happen on very first boot).  The second had a MCB failure and was replaced by an engineer who removed the whole cooling system but didn't fit it back correctly so I screamed and got a replacement.  Both systems were only days old.

When they're working, they're very nice.  Hopefully the third one will be perfect and my troubles are not indicative of the XPS 730 as a whole.  Indeed if I was to say anything, the only problem with them now is that they need SDD in raid and then they'll really shine. :)

Stung twice but I am getting a replacement rather than a refund because once you've used them, you'll not want anything else. 

XPS 730 H2C Desktop

64-Bit Vista Ultimate

Intel Quad Core QX9770 (3.8Ghz, 1600FSB)

2 x nVidia GTX 280 (SLI) 

4Gb Corsair DDR3 at 1600Mhz

4 x Sata 7200 RPM Samsung Spinpoint F1 (two raid 1)

Creative/Dell Xi-Fi Soundcard (Using on-board sound now)

Blu-Ray Burner

G15 Keyboard

G9 Mouse 

2 x Dell 3008WFP 30" LCD (awesome)

12 Posts

October 13th, 2008 12:00

It's a XPS 730 with a (I believe) a 950W. :)

Yes, it's a sweet rig but when you spend as much time writing software as I do, you want your tools to be good.  It's just a shame I've had so many problems.  Third time's a charm! 

EDIT:  Only just saw your edit. :) :) 

Message Edited by MelvMay on 10-13-2008 08:58 AM

49 Posts

October 13th, 2008 12:00

That is quite a rig you have there Melvmay!

Did you upgrade your PS? With 4x HD's and 2x 280's you have to be killing that 750 watt ps that comes with the 630. 

*****edit

I had a different thread in my head when I responded to this......730's have a 1KW ps....I need more coffee. 

Message Edited by squeeba on 10-13-2008 09:11 AM

306 Posts

October 13th, 2008 13:00

The XPS730 comes with a 1KW Power Supply.

306 Posts

October 13th, 2008 14:00

@MelvMay wrote:

I just got home and was curious because I remember seeing 9xx on it somewhere and it says 980W max power output, essentially yes, 1kW.

WOW, they shorted us 20 watts! :)  It's sort of like hard drive specs :smileytongue:

12 Posts

October 13th, 2008 14:00

I just got home and was curious because I remember seeing 9xx on it somewhere and it says 980W max power output, essentially yes, 1kW.

306 Posts

October 13th, 2008 15:00

@ElkWapiti wrote:
I never noticed this. It's like engine displacement ion motorcycles and cars - round up. :)

It is one huge power supply of delicious overkill.

And sometimes round down. Did I tell you I was a Kawasaki mechanic back in the late 70's ?  A KZ1000 had a displacement of 1015cc's. BTW I gave up motorcycles in 1982 for self preservation :)

513 Posts

October 13th, 2008 15:00

I never noticed this. It's like engine displacement ion motorcycles and cars - round up. :)

It is one huge power supply of delicious overkill.

513 Posts

October 13th, 2008 19:00

Interesting. I was unaware of any that rounded down. I bit of modesty perhaps.

6 Posts

October 23rd, 2008 18:00

I was looking at the 630 but then after doing my due diligence, found many issues and returns.  Dell altering hardware specs for their own reasons, go figure. 

I was looking at the 630 for the XP to Vista Ultimate pathway.  Does anyone dual boot XP 32 bit with Vista Ultimate on a 730?   Is there XP driver support?  The 730 looks like an option otherwise I may just build from newegg.

I have not built a PC for 4 years and have used a Mac G5 since then.  The Mac just flat works and never crashes.  I do not want to lose that freedom but my XP box is dying a slow death and my wife is a Windows person.  I figure get a PC with gaming specs if I have to get a new one.

513 Posts

October 23rd, 2008 19:00

Chewcat,

Take a look at the 730 downloads page and double-check, but it appears to me that all you would need for XP is there: drivers, etc.

However, unless you have legacy games or programs that you need to run that are 16-bit, I would request the free Vista 64 DVD from Dell and install it instead of XP.  Vista is very easy to learn for an XP user and the 64 bit version is particularly stable.

No Events found!