Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 24th, 2005 18:00

8400 BIOS A06

The new A06 BIOS revision for the 8400 offers a setting for video cards. It says the factory default is ON, but when I installed the update, that setting is OFF. Does anyone know what's the correct setting for Dell's nvidia geForce 6800 video card (not GTO)?

Thanks!

Ron

1.1K Posts

May 24th, 2005 21:00

The only option for video in my A06 bios is for PCI vs. PCI-Express.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 25th, 2005 02:00

James,
Thanks for responding. The option I'm talking about is under Maintenance in BIOS A06:

SERR DMI Message Mechanism - "some graphics cards require that SERR DMI Message Mechanism be disabled. Factory Default is ON."

When I installed A06, this option came up set to OFF, so I'm just trying to figure out if it picked the correct (OFF) setting for my geForce 6800 automatically or...

Ron

9.4K Posts

May 25th, 2005 11:00

In checking over at the NVidia web site I don't see where the GeForce 6800 has a feature for SERR DMI Messaging in it's specs.  Possibly it's not an option of that card.  I would try enabling the SERR setting and see what happens.  After rebooting your system you find the SERR setting in the BIOS Setup reverted back to being disabled then you will know the card doesn't support it and the BIOS detected it as such.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 25th, 2005 17:00

Majestic,
Followed your suggestion to turn SERR ON in bios and see what happens. Ran the system for a while, then restarted and checked the SERR setting. It's still ON and I haven't seen any evidence -so far- of problems so I'll leave it enabled. Why do these things have to be so cryptic? ;)

Thanks,
Ron

2.1K Posts

May 25th, 2005 19:00

Having recently updated to A06 BIOS with my XPS Gen3, out of curiosity I found, as you did, that while it is stated the default setting for SERR DMI is "ON" my system showed it as OFF. I'm running the ATI x800xt card and while I didn't find any reference to the acronym "SERR" with a ATI support search (nor have I any idea what it means/refers to...), I did come up with the following which may help shed light on what this setting's function is:

ATI's graphics accelerators support corporate network manageability tools such as Desktop Management Interface (DMI), and also supports network scalability, because only one driver is required to bridge all network users with an ATI graphics subsystem in a corporate environment, including both low and high-end PCs.

Fact is, I didn't even know this setting existed until I read your post. Perhaps, as the ATI reference notes, this setting simply allows graphics cards so-enabled to be set across a network from one point.   

Message Edited by VCraig on 05-25-2005 04:53 PM

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 26th, 2005 01:00

SERR means "system error" that much I know. Found some things on the web about SERR and Linux, but beyond that I haven't a clue what this BIOS feature is used for and whether it should be on or off in XP. I'll leave it enabled until/unless I start seeing problems. Maybe "Default is ON" is just an error in the A06 BIOS annotations?

What say you Dell?

Ron

9.4K Posts

May 27th, 2005 11:00

From what I understand the Intel chipset in your model is suppose to support diagnostic error reporting in the event of problems.  By enabling the SERR option I don't think it will cause any ill effects.  In the event your system encounters a video error either the SERR messaging will work as expected and report the error code or if the card doesn't support the error messaging, no error code will be reported.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 27th, 2005 16:00

Majestic,
Thanks, that makes sense. Let's hope I never need to see a SERR message. ;)

Ron

623 Posts

May 30th, 2005 18:00

DMI - The Direct Media Interface is the connection between the MCH and the Intel® ICH6.

MCH - The Memory Controller Hub (MCH) component contains the processor interface and

DRAM controller. It may also contain an x16 PCI Express port (typically the external

graphics interface). It communicates with the I/O controller hub (ICH6*) and other I/O

controller hubs over the DMI interconnect.

SERR - An indication that an unrecoverable error has occurred on an I/O bus. This is just an error reporting tool for the graphics card some video cards support SERR DMI Messages.

Message Edited by rick000 on 05-30-2005 03:08 PM

3 Posts

November 22nd, 2013 12:00

Je cherche la façon de changer l'horloge du cpu qui est grisé à 2,80 GHZ et 800 MHZ dans le bios AO8 pour une carte graphique GEFORCE 610...:

En effet avec la carte INTEL 82915G/GV/910GL la video passe bien...dés que je met GEFORCE 610 , elle passe au ralenti...

quelqu'un a t'il une idée??

Merci

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 22nd, 2013 13:00

The GT610 is a very slow card.  You have to get a newer machine with bigger power supply so that you can use a GTX650.

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Dell-Precision-T3500-PC-Desktop-Customized-/118438143

3 Posts

I am looking the way to change the cpu clock in the AO8  bios. In fact, the value can not be change.

It is at 2,80GHZ and 800 MHZ .With my Intel 82915G/GV/910GL the video is ok.

But, when i put a GEFORCE 610 the video pass slowed.

Is anybody have a solution?

Thanks.

3 Posts

with 2GB it is a slow card or it is not parametered well? exuse my english is not so well.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

November 22nd, 2013 17:00

Check the video card manufacturer's site for newer drivers...

No Events found!