Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 1st, 2006 03:00

8400 Power Failure

HELP!!!

Does anyone know why my 8400 (Purchased in September 2004) would suddenly shut down?  These power failures seem to come and go in bundles.  I may go for a few days without a problem, then WHAMMO, power shuts down.  The amber light switch blinks on and off, but the lights on the back of the computer indicate no problems.  After turning off my power strip (and having replaced it once, thinking it might be the problem, but to no avail) and then back on, and holding the push button until the amber light goes off, I try and reboot.  I go through this process a couple times, and then the machine starts up, loads XP, but after exactly 90 seconds, shuts down again.  IF I wait an hour or two, sometimes the computer will power up, load XP and things will again be peachy.  Other times, the power shuts off again.

I have been going through this cycle for a couple months now, having noticed it first late last summer.  Silly me, I didn't call Dell when my warranty was still valid!

HELP!!!

683 Posts

February 1st, 2006 13:00

To me this could be either a motherboard problem or a PSU problem. I have seen almost that exact description of issue/problem by another 8400 poster back in October/November. In her case, the problem was fixed by replacing the 8400 motherboard.

If you are able to get a consistent, repeatable error (such as the same diagnostic lights which come on every time you experience this issue) then please keep notes and post the details of that repeatable observation.

Because you are able to cycle back up, unfortunately it makes this problem a little harder to diagnose. There are a lot of good hardware people on the forum (ejn, SpeedStep, SR45, shesagordie, come to mind) and I've seen them work magic with error codes and their experience with this sort of thing.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 1st, 2006 16:00

Blinking amber power light on 8400 means 1 of 2 things. Either power cable to the Pentium chip is not securely connected or PSU is failing. Most likely it's the PSU.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8400/SM/adtshoot.htm#wp1053720

First, completely disconnect PC from the power. Then slide voltage selector switch on rear of the tower back/forth a few times. Make certain it's set to the correct voltage at your location before you connect the PC to the power again.

If that doesn't fix it, you may want to open the case and check that Pentium power cable is securely connected. Make sure you unplug PC from the power and press/hold On/Off switch in for ~15 sec before you open the case. Use precautions against static while working inside.

If all else fails, you need to install a new PSU. Dell uses a custom PSU so you have to buy an exact replacement unless you want to do some work on the case. You can call Dell Spare Parts or order it from Centrix (though they seem to be out of stock on 8400 PSUs right now.)

http://www.centrix-intl.com/list.asp?CategoryID=60

Ron

Message Edited by RoHe on 02-01-2006 10:53 AM

6 Posts

February 6th, 2006 23:00

I have your answer right here.  I had the same exact problem :smileymad:, and I could have guessed you bought your 8400 in the Fall of 2004 as I and many others did.  Your power supply is "rev A00" I assure you, as mine and many others were.  Those are defective in many cases, although it may take a year or more to show it.

Buy a replacement power supply for your Dell machine, but make sure it is rev A01, or any other A## other than A00.  That will fix the problem.

I spent over 30 hours on the phone with India which was WASTED, I heard others that tried motherboards, heat sinks, the works.   The issue is the power supply!!!  My computer would go 30 seconds and BLAM, gone.  I put in the new power supply and PRESTO, it's like a brand new freaking computer.

Don't waste your money on anything else except a power supply!!!  :smileyhappy:

73 Posts

March 26th, 2006 14:00

Hi,

Not sure if this is the same problem as yours..

Last nite the system shutdown. The power light was a steady amber color. After 1 hour of tech support, the tech determined it was the motherboard. After reading here that a lot of the PSU were defective, I am hesitant to order the motherboard replacement and waste any time. What do you think/recommend?

Thanks in advance..

Mugwamp

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 26th, 2006 18:00

MugWamp

I would say, it's a power supply failure.   A solid amber light- indicates an internal power problem, so it's between the motherboard and power supply.

To be certain you could buy a power supply tester, like the unit shown here,

Bev.

2 Posts

March 27th, 2006 03:00

Well, what do ya know... I replaced my power supply with a new one from Dell (about 40 bucks) and I am going on three weeks without a problem.  Thank you all for your words of wisdom.  This forum has been a lifesaver!!!  Generally, I have been happy with my Dell, but wonder about their lack of product backup.  They are willing to take your money, but less enthusiastic in admitting that they put out hardware that has a seemingly short shelf life.  When I bought my 8400 I had such faith in Dell's products that I took their standard 1-year warranty but no extended coverage.  One week after my coverage expired, my hard drive failed.  Oh Fudge!  I now back up my hard drive regularly in the event the one I replaced fails again.

Cheers!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 27th, 2006 04:00

Mt Zerin wrote:

Well, what do ya know... I replaced my power supply with a new one from Dell (about 40 bucks)

That's an excellent price, but what was the shipping cost?

Thanks for the heads up.

Bev.

Message Edited by shesagordie on 03-27-2006 12:27 AM

6 Posts

May 23rd, 2006 14:00

I am having this same problem and I bought my 8400 in the same time frame as everyone else. I find that by turning of the power on the power strip for a minute or so, until the blinking yellow light in the front goes off and then turning on the power, I can boot up the computer. For a couple of attempts, the computer will just shut off between 30 seconds to 30 minutes after it is turned on and go to the famous blinking amber light. It appears at some point however, you can turn the computer on and it will remain steady. I have overcome this problem recently by just leaving the computer on once it reaches a stable situation, but I don't like to do this and I am just procrastinating addressing the real problem here which seems to be a power supply issue. I will have to fight with dell as my warrenty is up, but I think the more people we have on these forums who will speak up about this problem, we will make a difference. Does anyone know if dell has any system recalls to address this issue yet?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 23rd, 2006 18:00

tap14

A blinking amber indicates a problem with an installed device, so it could be the power supply.

As far as I know Dell has not issued a recall, nor do I think that  Dell would replace the power supply, as the system is no longer under warranty.

You can buy a D-8400 OEM power supply for $89.00 from here,

or you could buy a complete D-8400 case, including the power supply for $50.00 from here,

or you can call Dell Spare Parts @ 1-800-449-3355 option 4, M-F 7 to 7 CDT and have the system's "Service Tag" handy.

When this happens, what is the sequence of the diagnostic LEDs at the back of the case?

Bev.

6 Posts

May 23rd, 2006 19:00

When this happens, the diagnostic LEDs are all off as the computer is off. The blinking light is on the button that you would use to turn the computer on located on the front panel of the computer. The symptoms I have seem similar to those described in the following threads:

As I stated in the previous message, the computer will just shut off in the middle of working. I am thinking that there is likely a temperature sensitive problem as after the 3 or 4th time of turning the computer on and having it shut off, it will remain on and running as long as I keep it running. If I hibernate the computer and wake it up after a while, I have the same automatic shut off problems. As the previous threads have stated, this is most likely related to the rev A00 power supply that was installed in units during this time period.

This is not a new problem as I bought my computer in the same time frame as other people who have complained of the same problem, i.e Fall 2004. I figure I am basically scre-wed and will have to shell out the money for the "non-defective" power supply, but I hope other people who have this problem in the future will complain on similar threads. The more documentation we have of this problem, the more likely people in the future will be able to convince dell to recall this obviously defective part.

6 Posts

May 23rd, 2006 20:00

Bev, Have you had any troubles with the REV-02 power supply? I just want to make sure that if I go ahead and get this new case, that it will work. Thanks agin for your replys!

BTW, I think the 8400 is a terrrific machine when it is up and working and if they have resolved this power issue, then I would recommend it to other people. I think Dell should stand by their products sometimes if problems seem to be common, even if they are legally not obliged given warrenty time-frames. Given the recent earning reports, Dell is losing gound in the computer manufactoring race and I think part of the reason is based upon the customer service reputation.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 23rd, 2006 20:00

tap14

A sad situation, but I doubt that that anything will happen.  I purchased my D-8400 in January 2005, I did check the power supply and it's Rev-A02, as are the two "bare bone" D-8400 cases, I recently purchased.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 23rd, 2006 21:00

tap14

So far, I've had no problems, except having the DVD burner replaced [would not burn], regards to buying a complete "bare-bone" case, I guess which version of power supply is installed in them, is just a matter of "luck of the draw". So, I lucked out.....

Like you, I really like the Dimension 8400, the 8400 clam shell case is a treat to work in and in fact, I think it's quite well engineered and designed.
It came with 2 x 160 Seagate HDs in a RAID1 array. It's not as if I like RAID, but what the heck, it was part of the package, as was XP Pro.

I used one the "bare bone" cases, to build a second 8400, with salvaged and "pull" parts, based on a Intel 660 processor [a pull], with a new $59 i925xe chipset, motherboard and $30 "bare bone" case [ebay], 2 x 160gb NCQ OEM Seagate HDs, 5 year warranty @ $55ea, including S&H, these were sold as refubished, but are in fact new.   I booted the system up last weekend and it works fine.

Bev.

73 Posts

May 23rd, 2006 23:00

Update..

Well, I intstalled the PS from Dell and a replacement MB from eBay with an updated MB, and Sys auto shutdown when starting. It gave a memory error by LED. So, I replaced the Memory too. It couldnt find the HD, so I had to enter CMOS Setup and enabled the SATA HD. It booted up fine except for an 'NMI' error which I was able to bypass. Not sure why I receive this error..anyone know? I believe it stands for 'non-maskable interrup', bit XP uses a whole new set of IRQs. If I recall NMI refers to IRQs 2 and 9, but I could be mistaken.

Mugwamp
No Events found!