Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

September 29th, 2006 01:00

8400 does not power on - no POST

Recently moved, and shipped my Dimension 8400. On arrival, the computer does not POST. The front panel amber light is on (does not blink). Back panel LEDs are blank. The fan comes on like a jet engine. CD-ROM light comes on, then goes off. Tried everything suggested in the Dell support pages:
1. Reinstalled memory.
2. Tried only memory in slot 1. Tried all memory in slot 1.
3. Pulled everything from the motherboard (PCI express card, hard drives, etc.).
4. Reseated the power cables.
Any ideas on what to do next will be very welcome. The computer is out of warranty, so contacting Dell is a last resort.

21 Posts

September 29th, 2006 04:00

Sorry to hear that. I too have an 8400 that just went out of warranty with fingers crossed. Unfortunately, if your amber light is solid and not blinking, it more than likely is the motherboard. A blinking amber light would have indicated the power supply.

Here is a link to others on this board with similar conditions.

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_other&message.id=287831&query.id=51604#M287831

You might want to try of the places they recomend other than dell to purchase a motherboard, which for the 8400 is not that much, around 29 dollars or there abouts.

10 Posts

September 29th, 2006 05:00

Had the same exact problem with my 8400 2 weeks ago - system was purchased 12/04. I, too, thought it was my mobo after reading other articles here, so I ordered an OEM replacement from a 3rd party (don't know if I can mention them, so I won't) and tried that, but got the same results. I was able to borrow a P4 530 3.0 GHz CPU, which is the same as what came with the system, and put that in the new mobo and it fired up fine. I took a chance put the CPU in the old mobo and that also worked fine. So, I bought a P4 541 (3.2 GHz with EM64T technology), put that in, and everything's working.

21 Posts

September 29th, 2006 13:00

Katnok, hmmmmmmm, never thought of that. I suppose that is possible because it was mentioned that the computer was working before being shipped and then after it was shipped it did not post. There was no mention of over heating prior or lighting storms etc. Might be possible that the CPU became dislodged or lose after being moved around during shipping. Worth a try to take the heat sink off and re-seat the CPU. Of course don't forget the thermal grease between the CPU and the heat sink after doing this. If that does not work, I would still install a new mobo to track down the problem. Of the two, CPU and MOBO. The mobo is only a few bucks, the CPU would be a heck of a lot more. Just a thought.

September 29th, 2006 17:00

Thanks for all the input. I tried to reseat the heat sink and CPU - no avail. Guess I will need either a new motherboard or a new processor. Anyone have a system I can scavenge? ;-)
Can I use any newer motherboard/processor combination in the 8400 case (say a newer motherboard with a Core2 Duo processor)?

10 Posts

September 29th, 2006 18:00

I cannot speak from personal experience, but I was under the impression that Dell cases won't easily accept off-the-shelf mobos from a fitment perspective. I'm sure someone can vouch for that.

As for the OEM replacement board, you can get one easily for ~$40. I was able to get the 541 CPU for $138 shipped and that was for a factory sealed retail box, although I *thought* I was buying a 540 (same thing, minus the EM64T technology). But, the BIOS recognizes the 64-bit CPU, so all is well.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

pavanmaverick

You can buy a Dell OEM, D-8400 motherboard for $39.00 from here,

To find which model of motherboard is installed in your system, open the case and there should be a white label on the board, next to the PCI slots, listing it.

Bev.

Okay, so an upgraded motherboard/processor combo is out of the question? What a pity. Thought a dead Dell was a good excuse to spurge on an update! Too bad. propritary cases :-)
Thanks again for all the suggestions.

10 Posts

September 29th, 2006 19:00

Well, since Bev mentioned it, I'll go ahead and say that the site she linked to is where I purchased my OEM mobo replacement.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 29th, 2006 20:00

Katonk

I noticed that the price has increased by $10.00, the last D-8400 boards I purchased from Centrix, were $29.00 ea.

Bev.

16 Posts

September 29th, 2006 21:00

Katonk, thanks for directing me to a number of posts that I did not read. As I wrote, I had nearly concluded that I was going to need a new motherboard. In fact, I was kind of "looking forward to" installing one. In fact, I had already checked Centrix, which had the price at $39.00. I will inspect the CPU first, to see if that might fix my problem. But if it is seated correctly, is there any way of checking the CPU for faults, in spite of this boot problem many 8400 owners are having?

I want to thank everyone who did post a question and/or respond to the "8400 won't boot" (and its many variations) problem. It is because of this community forum that I normally shave off a year when it comes to purchasing Dell product warranties (knock!, knock!, knock!).

October 9th, 2006 19:00

Thanks for everyone's input. Turns out it was the MB, and as suggested, have ordered the replacement from the company mentioned in earlier posts. Shall hopefully post a triumphant message from the newly resurrected computer soon :-)

16 Posts

October 9th, 2006 19:00

Pavanmaverick;

Were you able to test your processor on a working mobo? I think I'm going to start by ordering a new mobo. If it is the mobo, problem solved. If it's the processor, I'll order it, but I'll have an extra mobo, should problems arise in the future.

October 9th, 2006 20:00

CaptRock,
I had no spare parts lying around, so I took the machine in to our computer services dept. and had them check it out. They said that the processor worked fine in another machine, so it had to be the motherboard. Believe it or not, they quoted me $275 to get a new one in! Told them I would get them the MB and they could just swap it in. Now, if I can convince the Mrs. that it actually cost $275 to fix, I would have some spare change lying around to spend on new gadgets! :-)

16 Posts

October 10th, 2006 13:00

Pavanmaverick;
The lengths some of us have to go through for gadgetry fun! I'm ordering my mobo today. How are you/they going to handle the thermal compound for the heatsink?

October 10th, 2006 16:00

Good point! I shall have to make sure they (they - i.e., the computer services people) put some fresh thermal compound on. And hopefully, they will not charge me an arm and a leg for it!
No Events found!