Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 24th, 2010 15:00

8800GT idles at 80C/180F

My XPS 420 which I have had for 2 years recently began crashing two or three times a day. It looks like my Nvidia 8800GT GPU is the cause as the idle temperature is double what it's supposed to be. Everyone I've spoken to who has this card says it idles at 40C and goes to 60C max under load.

My fan speed was on the default 40%, I've now had to set it to 60% and leave the case side off in order to stop it from crashing my computer. There is almost no dust on the card and all other components are normal temperatures.

The case has the standard cooling that came with it two years ago. I have added another HDD, two more sticks of RAM and a PCI-e capture card. The card hasn't been overclocked, I have the latest drivers from Nvidia and the latest OS version (Vista).

Any help would be appreciated.

Lawrence

14.4K Posts

June 24th, 2010 16:00

Have you inspected the card to see if there is dust build up on it and the fan?

It may be that the card is getting ready to go. 2-3 yrs seems to be the average life span for the 8800 series cards. Might be time to start looking for a new one.

3 Posts

June 24th, 2010 19:00

There was a very slight layer but it's spotless now. Is massive overheating normally a sign of dying components? Is it worth getting a good fan/heatsink or is fairly likely to be on it's way out?

Thanks for the reply.

No Events found!