Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 11th, 2009 00:00

9150 with Flashing/Blinking orange/amber light

HI,

I have a Dimension 9150, a little while ago it stopped working!

When you re-connect the power cable into the power supply , nothing happens other than a flashing/blinking orange light where the power button is. Note there is no other numbers lit up on the diagnostic panel.

From reading the web it appears that this issue is either the motherboard or PSU

1) Can anyone confirm the above (as I dont wnat to spend hard earned cash on replacements if it isnt the case/cure)

2) Point me in the right direction as to where I can get a motherboard and PSU 

Cheers

Jon

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 11th, 2009 14:00

jonsmith1970

Have you tried unplugging all the power and data cables inside the case, then reconnected them?

Does the power supply fan run?

If you are comfortable around computers, you could try the following to check out the power supply.

Note: The only 100% method of testing, is to use a know working power supply.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 24-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system, if power supply's fan and hard drive run, then the PSU should be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Power supply checks out and the system still does not work, again remove the power cord, hold power button in for several seconds to discharge the residue power, reconnect the 24-pin connector to the motherboard.

Remove all the PCI cards, the video card [if applicable], memory, all peripherals, disconnect the data and power cables to all the drives, check that the front panel cable is connected to motherboard, with nothing else connected to the system, reconnect the power cable and power the system on.

If you do not get any beep codes and there is no change in the diagnostic lights on the front panel, then it would appear that the motherboard has died.

The 9150 does not use a Dell proprietary power supply, you can use most standard ATX power supplies with either, a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector and with a minimum of 2-SATA power connectors.

As the 9150 has an open back panel, a power supply with or without the on/off switch can be used.

You should be able to buy a compatible power supply, from most local, or online computer stores.

A replacement Dell OEM 9150 motherboard can be purchased from HERE, you may find a motherboard, for less on eBay.

Note: Due to the age of the 9150, replacement motherboards will probably be refurbished [aka Used].

Bev.

July 13th, 2009 03:00

HI Bev,

Thanks for the above. I bought a new ATX power supply, and I am gettting exactly the same - just blinking amber/orange light!!

I have removed everything from the motherboard, memory, all PCI cards, hard drive and CD. Strangely perhaps, but when I plug the new PSU in I do not get the PSU fan spinning - again another sign of a dead motherboard I presume?

Now I just have to organise shipping to Australia, at times like this I wish I was living back in the UK! Still at least the weather here is better :-)

Thanks again

Cheers

Jon

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 13th, 2009 09:00

Jon

That's a bummer, replacing the power supply is an easy fix and costs less than a motherboard.

You could check the motherboard for any capacitors with bulging tops or are leaking, the tops should be perfectly flat.

Bev.

July 13th, 2009 15:00

Might give that a try this evening, before I shell out 250 USD!!

Still - it is cheaper than a new PC!

I dont suppose you know if any other motherboard wil fit the case etc, although looking at the monster coolingthing ontop of the CPU I would be amazed!

Cheers

Jon

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 13th, 2009 15:00

Jon.

The 9150 supports a Dell BTX motherboard, with proprietary features, as far as I know, there is no retail equivalent, that would fit into Dell's BTX case

Plus if a non-Dell motherboard is used, you would need to buy a new retail, or OEM copy of windows, as Dell's OEM copies are tied to their BIOC and cannot be activated.

Bev.

No Events found!