Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 2nd, 2009 14:00

9800 GT in an XPS 400

I just put an EVGA 9800 GT video card in my XPS 400. Now when gaming, my screen will freeze up and even sometimes lock up the computer. I had no problem with the 7600 GT card I had it in before this one. I emailed EVGA about the problem and they said I probably need to update my BIOS because the card it so new. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I've heard that updating the BIOS on these machines can cause some real problems. Does anyone know where I can get the procedure and file to do this?

1.7K Posts

February 3rd, 2009 06:00

Your latest BIOS update is HERE.  This version (A07) is 2 years old, however.   The installation instructions are also shown.  I have never had any  problems updating the BIOS.  You just need to make sure you don't lose power during the process. 

I am not sure if it is a BIOS problem or not.  It could be other things such as the driver, memory or heat related issues.  What driver version did you install?  I think the latest version is 181.22.  If you have updated the driver several times, you may want to uninstall it, then use DriverSweeper in safe mode to clean things up and then reinstall the newest version.  Also, disable your Anti-Virus program before installing it so the driver configures correctly.

55 Posts

February 3rd, 2009 21:00

Yes, that is the driver that I have installed now. I don't think it is a heat issue. The highest I've seen the temp is about 55 C. But I even have problems at 40 C. And the other day it messed up while just going on the internet. I didn't play any games or anything. I ended up having to reboot like 3 times before it started acting right again.

1.7K Posts

February 4th, 2009 09:00

Those temperatures are fine.  I would consider it a bad card, but I would contact EVGA Tech Support by phone to see if they can work out any solutions.  I have only had one video card not work correctly as soon as I put it in and I sent it back.  All my others have worked the way they should as soon as I dropped them in without any problems.  If you are experiencing problems from day one, I would send it back for a replacement.  BTW, which model EVGA did you get?  Something I did not realize until recently was that their cards ending in "TR" only have a 2 year warranty and their cards ending in "AR" have a lifetime warranty once registered.  HERE is a list on Newegg. 

55 Posts

February 5th, 2009 19:00

EVGA 512-P3-N975-AR-- This is the model I got. Good thing it ends in AR! I didn't know that either.

No Events found!